Okay, this might seem a bit stupid, but...

crazychicken17

Okay, I've got a new computer, and with this new computer the keyboard settings are different. What I mean is, the symbols on the keyboard dont match up to what they make when I press the button. For instance, I press the button labelled ' " ' and get '@'. And some of the symbols I cant find on any button, like the Pounds sign, or the hash key. How do I change this? The keyboard is a Logitech, and I have Windows XP.

Yes, that is exactly the problem. Only there's more to it than that. I cant find the Pounds symbol, or the 'squiggly hyphen' sort of symbol, or the hash symbol, or... lots of other ones. I dont want to learn to live with it, it's very annoying, especially when the keys are the right way round on every other computer I use, meaning that whenever I get adjusted to this keyboard I suffer a reverse of the problem on other computers.

Help.

that happened to me once but when i restarted my comp it was fixed

i think it must be something wrong with your keyboard settings though

for the symbols you want goto Start > Programs > Accessories and open up Character map and you can find the Alt codes for them

press Alt + #### to get them

you have to press the left Alt button and the numbers on the number pad ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, I've got a new computer, and with this new computer the keyboard settings are different. What I mean is, the symbols on the keyboard dont match up to what they make when I press the button. For instance, I press the button labelled ' " ' and get '@'. And some of the symbols I cant find on any button, like the Pounds sign, or the hash key. How do I change this? The keyboard is a Logitech, and I have Windows XP.

Try looking here.

If it doesn't come up,:

If using Windows 9x/Me, check that the keyboard is set to English (British):

Select My Computer > Control Panel > Keyboard > Language tab.

If using Windows XP, check that the keyboard is set to UK English:

Select Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options (choose 'Switch to Classic View' if not visible) > Languages > Details.

If no English (United Kingdom) keyboard option is present, click on the Add button and select it from the drop-down menu under Keyboard layout/IME. This being Windows, a Restart is required for the change to take effect.

For illustrated instructions see 'How to Configure Regional and Language Support for User Accounts':

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...regionalsup.asp

Also see 'List of Languages Supported in Windows 2000 and Windows XP':

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292246

Edited by retrohelix