GTA IV Preview From Official PlayStation Magazine UK

Chris

opm_uk_may07.jpgThe Grand Theft Auto IV preview we reported on a couple of weeks ago in the UK publication Official PlayStation Magazine has today been dropping through the letterboxes of some lucky subscribers. There's a fair amount of new information in the magazine, which we've summarised below.

• The protagonist Niko Bellic is in his mid-thirties, and although not customisable, you will be able to don him with new outfits and such. Rockstar said they got Niko's physics just right and found it was difficult to implement character customisation with regards to this.
  • Staten Island, the only area of New York not recreated in Liberty City was left out due to Rockstar deciding it would not be a fun location to play in.
  • There are no "dead spots" or "irrelevant space" in the game.
  • There really are no loading screens once you're in the game, even when moving from exterior to interior, moving between the two will be seamless
  • The mob will be featured in the game, though they won't be lead characters. Additionally, 'hardly any' of the characters from previous games will return.
  • Missions will offer an increased amount of realism, and will be longer and more varied, some will even have multiple possible outcomes.
  • Bridges will possibly keep you from accessing other boroughs at the start of the game, but this hasn't yet been finalised.
  • What comes as a big relief to us is that there's no more pop-ups of buildings and foliage as we've seen in the past thanks to the completely overhauled graphics engine.
  • Dan Houser stated that no one has attempted to recreate a location of this size, and with so much detail, ever before.
  • The Artificial Intelligence of the NPC's has received a huge overhaul, pedestrians do a wide variety of things which were mentioned in the GameInformer article, and they even react to events such as a gun being pulled on them.
  • Shooting is said to be much more precise and fluid than in previous games.
  • Niko can use his mobile phone to do things such as set up deals and ambushes
  • Rockstar haven't yet decided how to make use of Sony's SIXAXIS controller for the PlayStation 3 version of the game.
  • Planes were not included in the game because there isn't enough room for them, and you would traverse the city too quickly. As we confirmed before though, we will be able to pilot helicopters.
  • Rockstar have promised a wider range of side-missions to partake in while not playing through the main storyline.

Thanks to Adds for the scans.

This is very big info!

And one question: Will GTA4 will be able to play on PC?

Hasn't been confirmed yet, only for the PS3 and X360. If it does I think you would be able to change quality like low, medium and high for like not as powerful computers. I mean people said Command & Conquer 3 wouldn't be able to play on mine because it was out of date, old and had a very bad graphics card, but I installed it and it worked fine on low quality and it doesn't look that bad. (Bit off-topic there...)

Argh it's so hard to believe in doesn't come out for like another 6 months, I can't wait. I'd pre-order but I live in the Middle East.

The Six-axis stuff doesn't really work. It plays like shit. If you're buying a ps3 it's definitely NOT for the six-axis stuff. It's just something they copied, and they didn't even copy it good.

Seriosuly I have a PS3 and SIXAXIS is good and it was ONE of the reasons I bough a PS3, only thing I said was how will the incorporate the SIXAXIS into the game.

And please don't make this xbox 360 v ps3 topic

[*]The Artificial Intelligence of the NPC's has received a huge overhaul, pedestrians do a wide variety of things which were mentioned in the GameInformer article, and they even react to events such as a gun being pulled on them.

I read on another website that they react when they just see a gun, I hope that isn't the case because. I like killin, and running around with a gun is more fun.

Anyone know which story is true?

The rest of the news is good.

[*]The Artificial Intelligence of the NPC's has received a huge overhaul, pedestrians do a wide variety of things which were mentioned in the GameInformer article, and they even react to events such as a gun being pulled on them.

I read on another website that they react when they just see a gun, I hope that isn't the case because. I like killin, and running around with a gun is more fun.

Anyone know which story is true?

The rest of the news is good.

Maybe its like when your in a rough area when you have a gun no one runs away but when you are in a business/commerce area people will start to run away.

Dan Houser stated that no one has attempted to recreate a location of this size, and with so much detail, ever before.

Previously you stated that GTA IV's scale is slightly smaller than San Andreas

Yes and this is still true. SA didn't have a lot of detail to it is point we're making. While Liberty City is incredible more detailed than any other GTA game.