GDT version 1.0

Sherman

The last ones had a 3.4 V8. Think I'd rather work on a 3.8 again.

EDIT: PS, thanks for the rep.

The 3.4V8s had a problem where the camshafts would "walk" or "spin" and the engine would be destroyed. If I ever had a 3.8 Taurus, I'd get the kit that's is supposed to be available for the 3.8 and I'd stroke it to a 4.2

3.4L V8? o.O Sounds kinda small.

OT:And yeah dude, no prob. I dunno if Oskar has PM'd you (or Vincent) yet, because my browser is really screwy. Apply in the gang system, if you will ;)

Yeah, it is a small V8

You should see the displacement on some of the older Formula cars, under 3.0.

Resume forthcoming. Just need to sort my digital camera. Authorities can neither confirm nor deny the validity of any photos. :ph34r:

Not to be a pitchman, have you tried Firefox?

Don't the new F1 cars have like a 2.5v8?

And I've been resurfacing my right front rotor somewhat for the past two hours and trying to figure out how to operate a tierod so I can adjust the toe

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah,, I remember reading somewhere they used to run a 156 ci (about 2.4 L) in Indy cars. It was a de-stroked Ford 289/302 V8. They did it so they would rev a lot higher.

Look, Grampa's Been playing w/ the internet again...

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/vsseries.htm#tech

Wonder if that 3.0 v10 will fit in a Taurus.

The metric thing is a courtesy to people not familiar with Cubic inches. For some reason, my mind automatically converts

them, probably has to do w/ getting knocked in the head w/ a big steel bar.

Now, where did I leave my Grampa juice.....

EDIT: the later Taurus 3.0s were DOHC, give my pushrod 3.8 a fair fight.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

96-05 had a 3.0pushrod standard and a 3.0DOHC standard. They killed the DOHC for 06 and 07.

And it's more a matter of transmissions, I'm sure the 3.8 would be quicker if it were mated to the newer (yet similar) transaxles.

I got my alignment done in the driveway! Doesn't pull to the right or wonder that much.

Score one for Yankee Ingenuity. Got the right tools or just good w/ level & tape measure?

Sounds like you know a little about the Blue Oval.

It always feathers the inside of the front tires, especially the front right tire. I did a quick, small adjustment. Probably thursday I'm going to actually measure it in flat and level parking area.

And I like my fords :D

Went to get the Taurus inspected today and it failed.

Service manager came up to me and said that I had broken front springs, and the rotors were too rusty and grooved to pass inspection and the right one was cracked, no inside right pad material left due to the rust and hanging calipers.

Spent 7 hours getting ...

* New front springs (free - Ford recall)

* New front rotors $133.30 (incl labor) YF1Z 1V125 EA Rotor Assembly

* New front pads $52.10 (for all 4) BR 35 B Pad

* Calipers rebuilt $144

They spent an hour trying to get the rotors off. I watched them do that they were using all sorts of oils and rust penetrators and hitting the thing and couldn't get them off.

Afterwards the other service manager asked me if I knew about the brakes. I told him that I did and that the car pulled to the left horribly when braking - because there was no right front brake anymore.

Went to get the Taurus inspected today and it failed.

Service manager came up to me and said that I had broken front springs, and the rotors were too rusty and grooved to pass inspection and the right one was cracked, no inside right pad material left due to the rust and hanging calipers.

Spent 7 hours getting ...

* New front springs (free - Ford recall)

* New front rotors $133.30 (incl labor) YF1Z 1V125 EA Rotor Assembly

* New front pads $52.10 (for all 4) BR 35 B Pad

* Calipers rebuilt $144

They spent an hour trying to get the rotors off. I watched them do that they were using all sorts of oils and rust penetrators and hitting the thing and couldn't get them off.

Afterwards the other service manager asked me if I knew about the brakes. I told him that I did and that the car pulled to the left horribly when braking - because there was no right front brake anymore.

Tell them to use beer or lager next time. Works a treat ;)

This'll probably give away my actual location, but my state got rid of inspections 25 years ago, same time insurance became mandatory (rates suddenly doubled, go figure). There were to many complaints about gouging to pass inspection

& too many shops got caught passing cars for a pay-off. There are laws about keeping cars in safe condition like contributory negligence.

A couple years back I sank about $400 (US) into the brakes of mo '00 Stang, and that was doing the work myself. Put OEM

spec pads all the way around, had 3 rotors turned + 1 replaced & both rear calipers had to be put into a shop to remove the frozen guide pins. In stead of a solid cable for the parking brake (or handbrake), Ford used a spring loaded ratchet setup & getting the rear calipers off is a royal bitch for one guy to do. I think it's supposed to be a self-adjusting setup but

plan to replace w/ earlier solid cable.

Righty - for clarification, this the 3.8 I was talking about earlier, although from what I've seen from working on it & the 3.8 Tauruses, Ford used the same block for both. According to the dealer I've got the wide ratio AOD so I get a little lower gears in 1st & 2nd. 4th is a little taller too. Found an article about swapping the AOD for a Cobra 6-speed for about $500

(US) if you have the right software to tell the computer not to look for signals from the AOD, so I think I know where my next spare $500 is going. Either way, the 3.0 DOHC Tauruses are just plain quick.

If you're into Tauruses, you'll be glad to know Ford recently announced they are coming back.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

On the 3.8 the block is the same, but there are a few different head designs. The rear drive 3.8, the Taurus 3.8 and the SPI Windstar 3.8. I was looking at a new 08 Taurus yesterday. I would have took it!

AOD is one of the most bulletproof transmissions out there if I recall correctly. I can see why you would want a six speed, wide ratios suck for racing.

Here in new york if you fart in your car 3 weeks before the inspection it will fail. Damn treehuggers.

I think to save money, Ford makes the floor so they can build either a auto or manual model w/ the same part. Mine already has a floor shifter so that shouldn't be an issue.

Recent article in Mustang Enthusiast covered it. In their swap, they picked up all the parts from a junkyard for $500. Same article claimed that between the tranny swap & changing the exaust to Bassani X-pipe, they gained 22 HP at the rear wheels.

Their car was an '02 w/ 4.6 V-8