CPU has started overheating all of a sudden -- HELP!

Alistair

Right, i've totally edited this thread now: I've figured out what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it.

This is the system I'm running:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE Motherboard

Everything used to run fine, but all of a sudden the CPU is overheating when just running idle in windows or even just on bootup, causing it to crash and become unstable in windows. I think some auto-BIOS thing is rebooting it when it gets too hot, which is fair enough really. Now I've checked all the fans are working which they are, but sat idle in safe mode I get the following temperatures:

CPU Core 1: 55C

CPU Core 2: 56C

System: 42C

Clearly, there is an issue here.

I've opened it, cleaned it of dust almost completely, only to find no change.

Therefore, what do you all think is wrong?

I think it could be one of the following, but please if someone has an idea, let me know!!!!!!

-PSU could be broken - the fan on it is working but maybe it isn't providing the right voltages?

-Heatsink could somehow be broken. I don't really know how.

-Thermal paste between heatsink and CPU could have somehow got corrupted or damaged.

-Thermometer sensors are broken and given a higher reading than they should, so my PC is shutting itself down because it thinks its too hot.

And that's all I can think of. Room temperature is at about 21C here, so obviously how the hell i'm getting 42C after a minute or two inside is beyond me! But please. Help! Thanks people.

Edited by Alistair

The core 2 duo's should be able to run uptill 60 C without any problem.

38 for the overall case is quite warm though.

It also crashed in the BIOS so it might be a virus or just the temperature.

I'd suggest you put some fan facing your PC and have some good airflow and see if that helps. If it does you might want to but a case-fan.

BTW, does are some great specs ;)

Thanks ;) no good if i can't use it tho!! But could it be that the CPU was overheated too much and is semi-frazzled? Or do you think its alright it's just running too hot for whatever reason? I do leave it running for a LOT of hours a day.

Actually I'm getting "3.3V" as 0V from my temperature program, maybe that means something, I don't know what 3.3V is used for, if anything, if it even exists on my system.

Edited by Alistair

I thought in a overclock tut for the E6600 they had a voltage like that, and I don't expect it to be different for the 6700.

I'm just guessing that the temprature in the PC case itself is to high.

Try using Orthos to see if your PC's hardware is runing stable.

Edit: You are using a CPU cooler, right?

Edited by Jace

Right, i've totally edited this thread now: I've figured out what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it.

This is the system I'm running:

Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE Motherboard

Everything used to run fine, but all of a sudden the CPU is overheating when just running idle in windows or even just on bootup, causing it to crash and become unstable in windows. I think some auto-BIOS thing is rebooting it when it gets too hot, which is fair enough really. Now I've checked all the fans are working which they are, but sat idle in safe mode I get the following temperatures:

CPU Core 1: 55C

CPU Core 2: 56C

System: 42C

Clearly, there is an issue here.

I've opened it, cleaned it of dust almost completely, only to find no change.

Therefore, what do you all think is wrong?

I think it could be one of the following, but please if someone has an idea, let me know!!!!!!

-PSU could be broken - the fan on it is working but maybe it isn't providing the right voltages?

-Heatsink could somehow be broken. I don't really know how.

-Thermal paste between heatsink and CPU could have somehow got corrupted or damaged.

-Thermometer sensors are broken and given a higher reading than they should, so my PC is shutting itself down because it thinks its too hot.

And that's all I can think of. Room temperature is at about 21C here, so obviously how the hell i'm getting 42C after a minute or two inside is beyond me! But please. Help! Thanks people.

Oh man, my mom's old system f***ed up and we bought her a new one. Being the greedy techies we are, we OF COURSE raped the old PC for anything usable. We THOUGHT the motherboard had f***ed up. To our surprise, when we attempted to take the heat sink off, the CPU CAME OFF WITH IT, CONNECTED TO IT. Yes, came off without first unhooking the CPU itself. The CPU was fried to the heatsink........ [/offtopic]

My old AMD was running at 56 C... Was a single-core 64-bit processor, though, so I guess it wouldn't shut off at that temp. How is the room staying that low with the PC running at that temp, though? That's outrageous.

I say, WATER COOLING! :thumbsup:

Jace, yes lol I am. And it used to run fine, what I don't get is why all of a sudden it's running at a higher temperature, I mean something must have caused it, right? It's been fine for months.

Spaz - actually, now that you say that I tried to take the heatsink off yesterday to clean it but couldn't pull it off.........I better try it now, if it's melted i'm going to kill someone.

I'm to yough.. I haven't even lost my virginity.

Water cooling is rather expensive (about 200 USD) but it does cool your entire system.

If I was you I'd just de- and re-assemble your whole computer.

If you have a second PC try putting the CPU on that one. See if it has the same effect.

lol buddy. Trust me, don't worry about loosing your virginity as quickly as possible - find the right woman and loose it to her, then you can worry about sleeping round with women. There's nothing worse than crap sex with a clueless woman (like say ALL the girls at college or uni) lol.

Anyway, back to my pc: an Update!

I took the heatsink off, CPU looks fine. Cleaned it, applied some Arctic Silver 5 stuff, put it back on. Now the PC is staying on, but an idle CPU temperature of 48C and system temp of 37 (or 29, i don't quite know which reading is which on the temperature monitor). I read a topic and apparently they shouldn't really go more than 45C and should idle at 25C, so....I'm gonna go out, buy a new case, new PSU, use some big case fans i got in the cupboard, and see what happens. If it's still too hot then it'll be a new heatsink. I really don't want to go water-cooling, that's WAY too complicated and water + electricity? It'd just all go so wrong if I did it! Anyway, wish me good luck!

Edited by Alistair

I do find water-cooling kind of ironic. I DO believe it's metal rods that actually cool the system pieces though, the water I assume just cools those. I'm not sure how it works, I just know it's damn good.

I found an epic heatsink. It was FANLESS. It was also like 4 or 5 times the size of a standard heatsink. Had to be for servers..... I doubt it would fit in a standard PC case...

Well, it's ok. I went out and spent £200 (ouch) on a new case, fans (it's got 4 fans now), new zalman heatsink and fan (NEVER EVER buy one of those unless you have a team of experts to install it for you!) oh and never buy Akasa case fans because the screws DON'T FIT!!! And I got a new PSU. So after about 5 hours lol of fiddling with the damn thing, I got it working!!

New temperature readings running idle in windows gives me:

System: 28C

Core: 36C

:D Thankgod for that, still got to see what happens when I run Oblivion lol.

£200 is a damn lot of money for a PC case and cooling. I just have 2 little case fans :P

About watercooling. It are copper pieces stuck to the stuff that nees cooling. Water moves over it to take the heat of it. Easy concept but it works great.

123090.jpg

That's the most powerfull card ATM. The asus 8800 GTX Aquatank. It does take 2 PCI slots though, making SLI a bit difficult [/off-topic]

£200 is a damn lot of money for a PC case and cooling. I just have 2 little case fans :P

About watercooling. It are copper pieces stuck to the stuff that nees cooling. Water moves over it to take the heat of it. Easy concept but it works great.

123090.jpg

That's the most powerfull card ATM. The asus 8800 GTX Aquatank. It does take 2 PCI slots though, making SLI a bit difficult [/off-topic]

Send me you PC now!

Or Die :lol:

OMG thats some serious Card!

Just an update (purely for the interest of anyone that has the same problem and looks through this for help) I discovered that it was actually a low VCore voltage - that's the voltage that your motherboard supplies to the CPU. Fortunately replacing the PSU seems to have mostly solved it for me, but at least my PC is running cooled and the CPU at a CONSTANT 40C, which is superb - and that includes running Oblivion on near highest graphics!

Anyway, in short, don't buy an ASUS motherboard.

Also, if you can't solve your Vcore voltage, take a look in the BIOS (quickly before it crashes and ruins the BIOS), and turn the EIST feature on/off (the opposite of whatever it is currently set to, because EIST is an automatic feature by Intel where the computer sets the Vcore voltage). Btw, this is for CORE 2 DUO ONLY!

Anyway, this seems to be an increasing issue with Core 2 Duos, perhaps a virus, I don't know, but I've heard both ASUS and ABit motherboards suffering this issue - so be warned!