No Planes

Gerard

According to someone who has read the GameInformer magazine, there will be no planes in GTAIV. Here is the excerpt from the text:

Players won't be able to fly their aeroplanes. There are no planes because it's just a city," says Houser, "apart from the fact that there's vehicles..wherever you are, it's still realistic."

Can we verify this information, or do you think it's bollocks?

Read my transcription of the audio at Grand Theft Wiki

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to someone who has read the GameInformer magazine, there will be no planes in GTAIV. Here is the excerpt from the text:
Players won't be able to fly their aeroplanes. There are no planes because it's just a city," says Houser, "apart from the fact that there's vehicles..wherever you are, it's still realistic."

Can we verify this information, or do you think it's bollocks?

Well to be honest if theres not another city theres really hardly any need for auroplanes which is a big dissapointment if theres not another city.

It's probable that this version of Liberty City will be a lot bigger than the mini-cities we've had before. Las Venturas is about a sixth of the size of the main part of Las Vegas. If Rockstar got their act together, they could make one city the size of San Andreas.

We don't know if helicopters are still in, but they're more useful in close quarters.

Wait- let's emphasize on that a little.... besides there being no planes, they say it's *just* a city.... does that mean no FORESTS, either?!?! One of my favorite features in San andreas is that it had places like Back o' Beyond and the hidden trails in the forests, you're telling me they're just going to cancel out that whole feature alltogether??! I mean yeah I love new york city just as much as the next guy, I LIVE here, but jesus I don't need a game that features just the city itself, hell all I have to do is just walk outside. I play GTA to "go other places", and to "get out there", among other things.

Edited by Coffee

Wait- let's emphasize on that a little.... besides there being no planes, they say it's *just* a city.... does that mean no FORESTS, either?!?! One of my favorite features in San andreas is that it had places like Back o' Beyond and the hidden trails in the forests, you're telling me they're just going to cancel out that whole feature alltogether??! I mean yeah I love new york city just as much as the next guy, I LIVE here, but jesus I don't need a game that features just the city itself, hell all I have to do is just walk outside. I play GTA to "go other places", and to "get out there", among other things.

Yes but there's great ideas for the upside if it may just be a city. Like:

-The WHOLE city

-Walk through every building

-More "interactiveness" in what we have(considering what space there is with the PS3 and 360.)

I replied to something similar like this in another thread. Thats why I didn't like LCS or VCS. They were boring! No fun forests! I mean when are Rockstar going to Make up a new city again? This is the 3rd time we've revisited LC and frankly I don't give a crap if it's "bigger".

MAKE A NEW COUNTRY ROCKSTAR!

Yes but there's great ideas for the upside if it may just be a city. Like:

-The WHOLE city

-Walk through every building

-More "interactiveness" in what we have (considering what space there is with the PS3 and 360.)

Seriously, is this really necessary? (Highlighted in bold)

Its just a huge waste of disc space and pointless, much like VCS. You could walk into a building and what, smash a drink fridge? "Ooh fun..."

It is really pointless, I mean I can understand some buildings like erm the statue of liberty or something, But not every building.. Get what I'm trying to say here?

Off-Topic: I just noticed that I'm getting a bit too aggressive on this site, *Apologies!*

I think I'm turning into Spaz :P (Joking it's just you get in huge fights with users)

Edited by Mpilk

Read my writeup of the details in the article if you want to know everything that can be known at this stage.

Liberty City in GTA IV will be smaller than San Andreas, but none of it will be "wasted" space as desert/forest/countryside - its just one big-ass city. That is why planes will not feature, because simply there is nowhere to go.

It's not that you can walk into every single building, but the game has improved massively in terms of detail, rather than size. Things such as potholes and rubble in the streets, totally different houses and immensely varying pedestrians.

i'm really starting to hate politicians!!! i loved the airplanes!!! thats bullshit. this is incredible!!@! when the world is too dangerous to bring liquid on planes, what has the world come down to?!? why cant you fly planes in new york anyway? i understand that 911 was devastating, but new york has already been hit! what??! does someone want to hit it again?? people would now be trying to hit Los Angeles!!! and guess what?! LA is a wide open target in san andreas!! god dammit! this better be wrong!

EDIT: well we do have to remember. this is the first gta of its era. there is probably going to be plenty of problems. but its going to be all better eventually. in the next game, there is probably going to be planes. not to mention everything els we ever dreamed of

Edited by evabin2libertycity?

Its pretty stupid to take a plane from LaGurdia to JFK. Theres only 2 major airports in NYC. There might be smaller ones for like UPS or FedEx but I don't live in NYC.

Rockstar is recreating 5 NYC boroughs for GTA IV:

Brooklyn = Broker

Manhattan = Alonquin

Queens = Dukes

The Bronx = Bohan

New Jersey = Alderney

If they say its Liberty City still will we be able to access the other part?

Edited by Chris92

From what I've heard, I took it as you can't take a jet plane "ride" to another city, you know, you can't pay for a plane ticket like you could in SA. But I would be astonished if they didn't have some forms of plane, like the harrier, stunt plane, and helicopters. At least GTA3 had a Dodo! (hahahaha, what a stupid plane)...I don't think it's because of politicians I think it was just pointless-seeming.

Yeah man, no planes but of course, there's a possibility we'll get helicopters. I also understand R*, it's a big crowded city and all, planes just doesn't seem that important you know. Anyway man, planes or no planes, doesn't really matter to me.

Edited by GTAPlayer

Indeed it is? All the other GTA's with no planes were kickass right? :thumbsup:

So lets just bottle up our anger and release it in strange, strange ways...

(runs up to an alpaca screaming 'goatlove' and waving japanese flags, whith a flaming yankees hat on head...) <WTF was that? :mellow:

I swear my posts are gettin more and more random, mind you it's like 2:15, and i probably should get some sleep... :zZZ:

Edited by MrLlamaLlama