GTA Vice City Speedrun (PC - 2:02)

http://hosted.filefront.com/TonyZimmzy/

Comments:

First of all, just to let people know; I did this run without any intentions on using Ammunation, so that's why it took around a minute and a half longer to do the mission "Shakedown" without the Grenades.

Also, the screen flashes green every 6 minutes on average because my Fraps cuts my movies in half every 4GB, dunno if it does with anyone else.

Part 1

This part was probaly the most frustrating to do, as I had to re-do it when I made the fatal mistake of saving over my old save file and the video screwing up on Part 2. Luckily, though, the second time I did it, I shaved around a minute off of it .

The reason I jumped in and out of two cop cars was for the ten rounds of Shotgun ammo, which were useful on some of the missions.

"Back Alley Brawl": I can't drive Infernus' very well, so that's why I crashed like twice in "Back Alley Brawl", but luckily the crash could of been a whole lot worse than it was, so it only took around 5 seconds of time away.

"Jury Fury": The reason I parked the Phoenix in the alley is because the cutscene makes it dissapear infront of Ken's place. Then when I realized I had a phonecall, I went on a quick hunt for a better car and found one -- A Comet, my absolute favourite car. So I jacked it and wasted around ten seconds doing so, but probaly saved a bit further down the line from it

"Riot": I was sloppy on this mission because I wasn't sure if I actually needed to go change into the overalls, this was more of a quick practice, and I would of started again if needed. Turns out, I didn't need the outfit, so I really saved some time with that!

"Treacherous Swine": Just before this mission I knew I'd get a call, so I used that time of the call to get the Pistol near Cortez's boat. Killing Gonzalez with a Pistol still on his roof saved some time instead of watching that annoying cutscene of him running away, and there was a bribe right near his place, so it saved time going to P'n'S

"Mall Shootout": I parked the Cheetah infront of the Mall so the guy would get stuck on it hopefully, and he did. Easy to shoot him to death and get into the Cheetah and peel outta there!

"Guardian Angels": My aiming wasn't the best in this mission, but I killed the second Haitian going up to Lance at the van, so I saved some time there. Saved after this mission, but got lost, so wasted like ten seconds on that unfortunatly.

Part 2

Jacked the Stinger near Ken's office and quickly went over to Diaz's place

"The Chase": Not much to note except I saved time by running past the shooter instead of watching the cutscene of him blowing up the red things, and I got lucky there was a car at the traffic lights, so I jacked it and lost no health getting shot at. Also funny to note that the pedestrian I jacked it from got her head blown off by the shooter

"Phnom Penh 86": Nothing to note here except my shooting started off poorly but got better, then got worse again

"The Fastest Boat": Saved some time by getting into the boat while it was still on the hooks. Made it back easily aswell

"Supply & Demand": My shooting was as good as I could hope for in this mission, so everything went smoothly

"Sir, Yes Sir": Nothing to note other than I saved after this mission.

Part 3

"Death Row": Didn't get shot atall in this mission as far as I remember. Way to go, guards!

"Rub Out": This could of gone better, but it was still fast. I planned on using the Pistol and just running at every guard shooting them, but the second guard didn't die, so that annoyed me. All in all it didn't cost me anything though

"Shakedown": My no Ammunation policy made this mission a little longer, but not by much. My aiming with the M4 looked stupid as hell when I decided to shoot a cop, wasted time and I felt like a moron when I didn't even hit him

"Didn't get the name of this mission": The 'Vercetti Estate' text over-wrote it, so I have no idea the name of this mission. My chopper got stuck in the alley and that wasted valuable time, so I had to jack to Oceanic outside the Hotel, and when I chased the guys down it went poorly. Saved after this mission.

Part 4

"Cone Crazy": Used this to make the money needed to buy the Assets. Didn't take long.

Part 5

"Cop Land": Took ages to get two stars, but it was worth it to see Lance get run over. Everything else went very well

"Spilling The Beans": Nothing to note here really, everything went very well

"Hit The Courier": Grabbed the Uzi spawn near the place which was a fatal, fatal mistake because I thought I picked up the SMG from one of the dead women but I didn't, then it dissapeared, so I was stuck with the useless Uzi throughout the rest of the entire game. Everything went very well anyway. Grabbed the Rocket Launcher really quickly on the way to the Boatyard in the chopper for the last mission.

Part 6

"Checkpoint Charlie": Big note to anyone who noticed this first of all; I accidently deleted the original one, so I had to re-record it, and that's why my health and weapons look different. Did everything exactly the same, though, so hopefully it won't matter to anyone.

Part 7

Kaufman Cabs missions & Sunshine Autos checklist: I'd been awake for around 40 hours when I recorded this part, so I look dumb as hell doing it. It might look entertaining getting blown up by exploding taxis to you, but it wasn't to me. The Sunshine Autos checklist went rather quickly. It took a while to realize just how horrible the Uzi was doing on the final cab so I eventually got out and put a Rocket to it. Tiredness made this run terrible, but not so terrible that it wasn't worth keeping.

Part 8

Cherry Popper Icecream mission went quickly.

"Hit The Courier": I couldn't ask for a better run on this, everything went perfectly as planned with a spectacular time

"Keep Your Friends Close...": Everything went absolutly stunning on this mission, absolutly perfect. Rocket Launching the hell outta Sonny saved serious time instead of doing the running over Sonny in a car bit.

Total Time: 2:02

I was really hoping for sub 2 hours, but I didn't make it, and for that I'm dissapointed in myself. Hopefully no one cares about the extra 2 minutes as much as I do, though.

End of Comments

I'm still uploading Part 6 & Part 8 as I post this, so they'll be up sometime today.

Big thankyou to Tim Symanczyk for some useful tips in his amazing PS2 speedrun video! And big thankyou to Andre Bodmer for making an incredible GTA3 speedrun video to give me the idea for doing one on GTA Vice City. Major thanks to everyone for their dedication to speedrunning, and maybe I'll do one for San Andreas sometime in the future.

Feel free to add me to MSN @ [email protected] if you have questions or just want to chat, later.

- Tony.