Wasted screen ends too quickly?

Chris

I love GTA V. I think it's almost perfect. It's as if they took everything that was great about SA, everything that was great about IV, mashed it together, and added even more cool stuff.

So far, I have only one complaint. Literally just one.

The wasted screen. It ends so quickly! I get that this is good because you get back in the game quicker (so it's great if you die while on a mission), but it seriously sucks when you're just fucking around.

I jumped off Mt. Chiliad on a bike yesterday and smashed into the rocks and Trevor's body bounced up and started to flail everywhere, but then the screen faded to black and I respawned before the body really got anywhere. I wanted to see him fall all the way down because deaths like that are hilarious!

Similarly today, I was playing as Franklin, going insanely quick down a straight road, swerved to miss a car and crashed into some kind of concrete bench or planter, didn't really see. Of course the car came to a dead stop and Franklin flew out the window (dying instantly) and the wasted screen faded to black before he had even landed!

Anyway, my proposal to Rockstar to "fix" this behaviour: make the wasted screen last as long as you want (say a limit of 30 seconds or so just to be realistic), and press a button (Start?) if you want to immediately get back into the game. This way it won't be annoying if you're on a mission, and if you're just fucking around you have time to watch a funny ragdoll death. Everyone's happy.

So the bumper car effect doesn't cause you any dismay?? Come now, really? Here's something, try crashing a car headlong into another and see what happens, I saw nearly NO DAMAGE whatsoever, a ding or two, broken headlights? In the REAL WORLD your engine compartment would be tucked up under your firewall, there's no airbags in GTA either, which would have been a need addition. Still, I actually don't have an issue with the Wasted screen, when respawning between it takes a bit longer then I'd like.

Suffice to say, for me, the damage between wrecked vehicles in any sort of crash or caused mayhem just isn't there to enjoy, there are other things like having cops shooting tires out, and I notice one or two impacts to a wheel well will leave you scrambling for something else to get around in.

More to your point, the Wasted deaths I've had you typically hear the protagonist's bones breaking, which is in contrast to things we've heard in prior GTAs, after this sound appears in game, that's when it fades and the respawn begins. I haven't tried the gamut of extreme deaths you can envision, but for instance, I was swimming underwater in a restricted space SOUTH of Los Santos, and died while underwater, IIRC, again that sound seems to herald when you're going to respawn nearly direcly. I believe it's in all death scenes. Getting back into the game now, but I was out today shopping so not much gaming in GTA today for me

Edited by BlackListedB

The damage doesn't have too much aesthetically, but bust you car up a good couple times and tell me the engine still runs fine.... I CANNOT make it up the mountain before losing my engine power....

Not to mention wheels getting jammed up and such to the point where you can't control the vehicle without great difficulty.

Oh yeah good point about the vehicle damage, I was expecting better, but it doesn't bother me too much. I seem to crash quite a bit and I think if they had more realistic damage I'd be looking for a new car every couple of minutes.

There's always that side, the benefits, but for a game that Sam Houser said himself would embrace a more gritty, realistic tone, while still maintaining HyperReality, rather then PhotoRealism, I think it can stand more improvement, and for crashing, I want something that's as fun as the game Burnout or more so, given how old the Burnout series is, it had excellent crashing for a driving game, and enhanced it with slow motion, which is something I enjoy in GTA when doing stunt jumping, though it also bends reality to do so.

Bullet-Time would feel out of place in GTA, but it's part of the history unique to Max Payne.

To counter the arguments, I know about wheel and driving damage as I've been doing plenty of driving in lieu of plot work, but I'll tell you, I managed between braking and accelerating, to get a sports car up and down a mountain that was plenty steep with only a few scratches, you can defy the natural order of things with GTA still, and I am hoping that there's some focus on these things in the future, I know it might put you out of your custom car, but that's how games work! Adversity and challenge are part of the recipe.

Oh, in my initial reply, I meant to type "NEAT" addition for airbags to be in the game, but alas, still miss the spike strips from Vice City as well.

Edited by BlackListedB

I'm appending this to add after more hours of gameplay and dying a lot, I find I can still live with the Wasted screen as is, it's not as bothersome as some other factors, as mentioned, it's pretty minor, but I can see if you're looking for interesting death scenes in particular, it might bother you, but I don't I guess. I was positioning things as road blocks, taking on the police, which escalates things in very short order, and parachuted into a top secret air field, where I unearthed two military helis. I was shot dead while trying to recover from the rough landing, I think recovering from a fall is the hard part, takes a long time, in game time!