Hoping for more in-game rewards for completing side activities

Trevor_Philips

The advent of trophies and achievements has been one of the worst things in gaming for me because developers have less incentive to provide in-game rewards and think some stupid trophy or achievement is compensation enough when it's not (at least to me). Remember back when Vigilante gave you increased armor? I certainly do. But what did it give you in GTA IV? A stupid trophy and that's it. Same goes for cage fighting in TBoGT, which would have been a great way to reward the player with more damage resistance. But NOOOOOO, apparently I'm supposed to be happy with a worthless little colored icon with the words Bear Fight next to it. Maybe if I played games to impress other people with my exploits, I'd be happy with that stupid and useless little colored icon. But since I couldn't care less about what others think of my gaming habits, Sony can take those stupid and useless little colored icons and shove them. :pissedred:

So, basically, I'm hoping GTA V has in-game rewards for these activities in addition to said stupid and useless little colored icons.

I think this time around going after these achievements will be more rewarding than IV. Not in-game rewarding but more rewarding for the player in the sense of exploration and story. Looking at some of the leaked acheivements (some minor spoiler related to the acheivements), they look to be interesting and creative, something I would actually seek out and do. I don't care for acheivements at all really, so added incentive to complete them is welcomed, whether they will be in-game or more along the lines of exploration. Funnily enough TBoGT is to date the only GTA game I have gotten 100% in.

• Like 1

Let me just say beforehand that I have no ill will or anything toward anyone who feels differently about trophies and achievements than I do. Each to their own.

I think this time around going after these achievements will be more rewarding than IV. Not in-game rewarding but more rewarding for the player in the sense of exploration and story.

Unless there's some sort of in-game reward involved, the trophies for doing it are still stupid and useless little colored icons of no value or importance to me. I mean, it's not like anybody's PS3 Trophy or Xbox 360 Achievement collection ever got them anywhere in the physical world. Maybe if Sony or Microsoft were willing to reward gamers in some way for getting a certain amount of them, they'd be better compensation for completing difficult or obscure objectives. But as it stands, they're pretty useless unless you're just out to say "I'm better than you" to everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a thread to mention the ones available for GTA V, IIRC, but I know how it can be a double edged sword, the main thing about having it, and Sony adopting it from Microsoft as well, it shows up in your online profiles to compare your progress in games you share with your friends, or just to see what games they play and how much, and or how good they are at them... and all you have to do is play the game, rather then share minute details with friends in person, so it is somewhat beneficial outside of which game it is we're talking about

Edited by BlackListedB