Men and Women in GTA IV

scrablar95

Well, to be honest, what's the summation you're looking for in asking a question that's pretty vague like that? In GTA IV all NPC are really as they were before, showing all walks of life while leaving children and animals out of the game. The big debate has been about equating the player with the protagonist as far as age, if that would correlate with any younger people as NPC, and no one directly knows, but I do know Sam Houser said to avoid controversy, there will be no CHILDREN in GTA, so you know, I reiterate what he has said, so people may take exception but he's one of the top commanders of ROCKSTAR operations, and not everything he has said has dictated a path for GTA or template, if you will, but for now, nothing REALLY suggests that's changing anytime soon, what we know will be likely present is more birds and animals like a dog clearly seen in the trailer

You also see peds or NPC (non player characters ...meaning, you don't control them) that try and populate locations as well as articulate various tasks, as simple as carrying bags or briefcases, cigarettes, or drinks, that spill, as you know, or operating equipment as we've seen in the trailer, a man pounding a FOR SALE sign in front of his house. In a few second snippet, we assume it's much more advanced AI for this to take place, but in GTA IV,or RDR, we see a task a NPC can be articulating is pre-programmed actions that simulate an ongoing task, it could be a sign resides in that yard, the ped comes to pound it in (some more, to sturdy it) and walks away eventually, but these are simple pre-programmed actions I believe. Until we know or see the game in action, it's assumed based on what's been done with GTA since San An on Renderware, to RAGE and Euphoria evolving with GTA IV Episodes, and Red Dead Redemption, which I use as an example over Max Payne 3 because of having spent hours playing those games in particular

Edited by BlackListedB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well i've noticed that i GTA IV the only time you play as a female character is online where you can create your character to how you want them, but in other words its like your trying say that females in this game will for ever remain in these games as NPCs and that the same representation we see of them will always be used because its easier. But my question is that if thats the case why do they choose this representation and not a more positive one?

I didn't say they won't have women, I assume you want a discussion that's not limited simply to what we know about GTA or Rockstar, but based on what we've seen and where it might go as a future franchise?

Certainly women protagonists are not off that menu, I believe with GTA V the idea of playing more then one character could also embody that idea of both male or female, but don't bet on it... I would say that! Not with this next GTA is that likely....me thinks

In Vice more then San An, they came off like the female cartoons in HEAVY METAL, where I heard the animators got a bit carried away with presenting them in a sexual aspect, heavy handed as sex objects rather then having personalities. If you recall Vice, the women were graphically represented that way if they were beach bunnies, but you still had some variety all in all. I believe they've gone for a much more realistic aspect, but there is ALWAYS an element in character design and dialog aimed at stereotypes or comedy in general

I don't think anyone's really represented fairly in GTA. What you have to remember is that the games are written to be funny, and exaggerating the aspects of someone's personality or a the perceived personality of a collective group is a damn easy, damn effective way to do this. It's not a bad thing at all, it's a bit of a nihilistic approach but I really don't think the people at R* are walking around saying shit like 'well yeah we don't really want to represent women' 'well we shouldn't have a guy whose Chinese and kills people cause they might get offended.' this level on nonchalance towards the potential of offending anyone is what has made GTA's writing so consistently good.

Equal rights parody and satire for all races, creeds, religions....sexes ...let's start a movement, since it seems lacking.

@MrLlamallama, I sent or posted a message on the Social Club to Rockstargames about religion in the game, morality in the game, you don't tread lightly in such areas.... I'm Christian, and I also have a moral compass that I follow, in the game despite how you control the characters, that moral issue in a more realistic game every time (each successive franchise generation I mean), it should be there, and they'll gain respect from mature reviewers and gamers I believe. There's always that option to play the game as you wish, but in the elements put in, it should have some respect, even for non-religious elements.

My thinking is it imparts respect from the real world, if the game doesn't cater to the worst elements of the mirror it's reflecting back at us. It could seem to some to lack the enjoyment or fun factor, but I disagree, it elevates the story elements/integrity

Edited by BlackListedB