Core 2 vintage / Shopping aid

BlackListedB

If you'll be doing some PC rig upgrading, looking for what works on a mobo you have or not, perhaps some of what I'm doing can help you, in posting my findings....yet again, I hope that can be the case

I'm looking to buy one or more Core2Duo processors in the not too distant future, and perhaps Core2Quad, mainly for older 775 socket Intel boards, anything I come across is typically older, used, or liquidated tech.. rather then latest / greatest

An old rig I'd gotten for free and setup with older GTA on PC is the Dell Dimension 4550 model, I find out it's included Audigy 2 from Creative Technology was one of the best sound boards out before the X-Fi variety were introduced. Nice

The 478 socket and AGPx4 only allow me Northwood P4 with no Hyper Threading, and the nVidia AGP card is the Geforce4 variety 64Megabyte V-ram, Looking it up, the 420 model, only supports Direct X 7, whereas GTA III seems to request Direct X 8.1 at time of release in 2002

So.... Playing San Andreas version one on that would be troublesome, even dating back to 2005 as it does.

My other project was a D915GUX Intel board, dating to 2004 through to 2006, using the 775 socket, supporting 800Mhz FSB and PCIexpress graphics, it's much better suited to handle modern 3D

What you would need to keep an eye on is BIOS versions, Motherboard revisions, and Core2 code names as well as specs for the FSB matching, getting close to system RAM speeds as well, which don't always match, but don't have to.

The Core2 E4700 is the top 800Mhz CPU for the 775, you're looking at a range of CPUs from Intel that shrink the die from 90nm (nanometers) to 65, down to 45 before the new chipset sockets came along, and 775 became obsolete, as far as what's out there now, the Nehalem

The Penryn covers the 45nm process and boards were advertised more specifically to take advantage of them

Some OEM boards as I mentioned, made for Dell or HP, Acer, Etc, will or can support up to 1066Mhz, but before you get a CPU matching that, for sure, run your latest BIOS, have the last revision for an OEM introduced motherboard, which would allow the last generation of CPU for that board still being supported

Edited by BlackListedB