Morals in America

BlackListedB

I was raised a Christian, the remarks of a CEO or company president about "Family Values" doesn't offend me or startle me, but the back lash presently over Same Sex Marriage and the company Chick Fil A has.... Read more here if you're still living under a rock...

http://finance.yahoo...e-too-far-.html

Fact is, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Expression, and Values seem under heavy assualt, and one person on TV claims Christianity gets more flack then any other religion, though I don't know the validity of that claim, this controversy just shouldn't be. If you came out as a person who prefers same sex, the only complaint you can make legally (or should be) is about discrimination based on hiring or allowing you to buy or rent based on that, where as far as I know, they can chose to hire you NOT based on that, but again, because the CEO or President has values and came out expressing them, he and his business are being villianized it seems

Even more disturbing...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/muppets-dump-chick-fil-a-over-christian-values-non-support-of-gay-marriage/

Edited by BlackListedB

There's been a shitload of articles/ campaigns floating around the web recently. Thankfully, as far as humanity goes, many seem to be swinging (no pun intended) towards the pro gay rights side. It happens to be the side that I agree with and anything that means more people are treated more equally more of the time is good in my book.

However.

I don't think it's fair to villainize people if they don't hold this particular view. They're free to hold it, within their own mind, marry someone of a different sex, have kids and not let it bother them. Of course, there are exceptions that will need to be made, anyone who spreads anti-homosexual propaganda simply on the basis that it conflicts with their own beliefs is an absolute fuckin' asshole. Anyone who dictates the beliefs of their kids is an asshole (in/outside of the gay rights argument). Someone shouldn't face flak because they say 'I don't agree with it' and leave their opinion with it there (or at God like many go on to do, I think it's time we learned that you're wasting your time arguing with religious people about homosexuality).

Now this:

The Jim Henson Co., owner of the widely promoted Muppets characters, says it won’t be working with Chick-fil-A any more based on the statement of Christian faith from the restaurant chief that he does not endorse homosexual marriage.

From the article you posted doesn't shock em at all. Since the muppets is primarily a kid's show there is clearly a conflict of interests when you're trying to teach kids about acceptance, equality and so on. They went about it the right way, just ended their association and were done with it.

• Like 1

I worry about them pulling support for PBS, where I know they air some ads promoting kid's educational programming, I grew up watching the Muppets, I don't think they should make an issue about this where kids are concerned, sure the importance of accepting different people of different backgrounds is important, I feel the same in cases where I was disenfranchised, but I also believe in having morals, as a good thing, and as a Christian, we face a more open Secular stance then in decades past, for example some alternative lifestyle preachers DO exist, female pastors was the major change I first observed, as well as marriages for clergy..

I also think Jim Hensen, were he alive to witness this, he wouldn't condemn Christian views, though I don't know how religious he was, I believe he just wouldn't take up a position that present opposing hate, which in it's base form comes down to hate I feel. You can't force anyone to think just as you do. Which is what it seems is the goal in all this protesting

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I still feel you don't rob kids of their innocence too soon, it's not good but it's happening rather alarmingly these days, that's why GTA and M rated games are simply not good fodder for the young and impressionable

I am a lover of music, as such, personal differences in my heroes life-styles don't effect me as they would if I were to single them out on that alone... Elton John and Rob Halford two notables, Freddy Mercury of Queen another, I can respect them for their humanity, we all have faults that are not easy to overcome. To be sure. As a child I find it conflicting and worrisome more so I'd have to say, as again, our family's belief in Christianity is much the same as the CEO's ideas of a "normal family", but as a child, you'd likely be stuck in a sitation with one parent for a host of reasons, or a gay couple raising you, and have to cope with that and societal view

Edited by BlackListedB

In my opinion, we ALL need to shut up, sit back, and enjoy the ride. And while we're enjoying the ride, let's enjoy with each other, shall we? No need to be lonely. Share the ride with all of humanity, and share it equally. Live and let live. Die and let blossom. Change and variety are the most important aspects of life, we have no control over these things.

It's time to stop with the labels and constraints, the him and her, and the you and I. Us. We. Humanity. HUMANITY.

• Like 1

In my opinion, we ALL need to shut up, sit back, and enjoy the ride. And while we're enjoying the ride, let's enjoy with each other, shall we? No need to be lonely. Share the ride with all of humanity, and share it equally. Live and let live. Die and let blossom. Change and variety are the most important aspects of life, we have no control over these things.

It's time to stop with the labels and constraints, the him and her, and the you and I. Us. We. Humanity. HUMANITY.

Exactly. Labels are for books and media, not humans.

• 3 weeks later...

In my mind, Muppets creator Jim Hanson would not take a stand against religion, he'd be respectful of that opinion, so I think getting hot under the collar about it is a mystery. Not everyone will be adopting of Alternative Lifestyles because some gay or lesbian or open couple, etc... says they're in the right on the matter. It's just the same coming from the opposing viewpoint