using GTA to create movies

gdstark

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, but is it possible to insert multiple vehicles of your own design into the GTA world, then render high def movies of them just moving about? I ask because I have an idea for a futuristic transportation system (www.PRTProject.com) and I'm trying to find a way to create movies showing the concept without doing all the CGI from scratch. The GTA worlds I've seen are beautiful and I already have my vehicle model (NURBS & 3DS formats). I'm not looking for anything that's interactive, so it wouldn't need to actually "play". Any advise is much appreciated.

Attached below is a render of my vehicle, in this case superimposed over a real photograph.

Gary Stark

Render1B.jpg

You can try putting them in GTA IV if you want your renders to look good. Haven't tried on converting vehicles to the game yet, but you might as well ask the guys at GTAForums for insights as well.

Thanks...I'll google that one. Any leads are much appreciated. I honest know nothing about GTA editors...any links are appreciated.

gary

I'll suggest another way. Yot can use a few car Mods with San Andreas and you can use the DYOM Mod by Dutchy3010 and PatrickW to make Video Cutscene and use Fraps to record it. This is the simpliest way.

Yikes. This is beginning to sound difficult. Any chance I could pay someone to do it?

btw, here's my model if anyone is curious...

http://www.prtproject.com/PRT.zip

gary

You should be able to do that. Save a replay and use the Gta4 video editor adjust the camera angles and what not and render it in 720p.

No idea how the mods would work though.

When you say replay, does that mean I need to first "play" the game? Since I'm not really trying to play the game, but rather just use the background visuals, is it possible to delete the other elements (badguys, other vehicles, etc) from the level before running it?

gary

I'll suggest another way. Yot can use a few car Mods with San Andreas and you can use the DYOM Mod by Dutchy3010 and PatrickW to make Video Cutscene and use Fraps to record it. This is the simpliest way.

Yikes. This is beginning to sound difficult. Any chance I could pay someone to do it?

gary

Most likely this has to be personal. Do you know to take Gameplay Video records?

gary

Most likely this has to be personal. Do you know to take Gameplay Video records?

If by personal you mean not a company, yes definitely. It's just an idea that I believe in. Even if your conclusion is different than mine, one point would be difficult to argue. It would do moreto beautify our world than any other idea. All the parking lots would be converted into parks, community gardens, basketball courts, or whatever else we like. Huge change. That's the vision I ultimately want to communicate, but just dropping the vehicle into the GTA worlds would be enough to get people's attention.

I don't know about Gameplay Video records. I don't even play GTA...I just stumbled across the youtube videos people were uploading and was stunned. These beautiful 3D worlds, full of signs, pedestrians, hydrants, and all kinds of details would cost a fortune to model from scratch (I used to work in videogames), so the idea that it might be possible to just drop my existing vehicle (many copies) into these lush worlds is very exciting to me. I'd be willing to pay for help, but I couldn't afford much. My hope is that it's not that hard for someone who already knows how to do it.

gary

Edited by gdstark

You should be able to do that. Save a replay and use the Gta4 video editor adjust the camera angles and what not and render it in 720p.

No idea how the mods would work though.

When you say replay, does that mean I need to first "play" the game? Since I'm not really trying to play the game, but rather just use the background visuals, is it possible to delete the other elements (badguys, other vehicles, etc) from the level before running it?

gary

Well not exactly "Play" play.. you have to stand around/ride your mod etc and save the replay .. which you can edit/change cameras and what not in the replay editor.

Like I said, setting up the scene will be your biggest issue.. Check out the download section if there are mods or hacks to turn off/on whatever you want. You'll have to get creative with that.