Windows 7 EFLC Steam frame rate tbogt

Celidor

Hello, I am hoping to get assistance getting TBoGT to run better on my computer. The computer I had before this was a minor downgrade in every way. But yet it runs at lower framerates on my newer, current computer. I can't recall how much better. Only that the frame rates were good enough that I was able to enjoy the game much more... My old computer ran it on XP.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

8gb of RAM

Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5750

Video Driver version: 8.14.1.6105

Audio Adapter: Headphones (Cirrus Logic CS4206A (AB 24))

Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some benchmarks from the game.

1. Recommended Settings

Average FPS: 20.53

Duration: 33.18 sec

CPU Usage: 20%

System memory usage: 37%

Video memory usage: 63%

Video Mode: 2560 x 1440 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: High

Reflection Resolution: High

Water Quality: Very High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4

Night Shadows: Off

View Distance: 25

Detail Distance: 31

2. My experimental settings

Average FPS: 25.25

Duration: 33.07 sec

CPU Usage: 26%

System memory usage: 42%

Video memory usage: 58%

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Shadow Quality: High

Reflection Resolution: High

Water Quality: High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x2

Night Shadows: Medium

View Distance: 43

Detail Distance: 45

--------------------------

So I am only using 58% average of my video memory at these settings. Why is the framerate so noticably slow. In game it feels like the frame rate is varying speeds a lot as I play. Like it will run smooth for a second and the world is alive then every thing slows down the next second and even the cars sometimes will seem to actually slow down in the world. But not with their brakes. I don't know how to show the framerate while playing. I'm assuming this has that basic feature somewhere. But despite this the framerate speeds seem somewhat consistent too through night and day in the open or in the grid. If I am on foot it also is always a little better. But view distance and detail distance don't seem to cause much drop in frame rate if I raise them up.

Lowering the resolution improves the framerate. But barely. And not seemingly worth it since the quality is so much less.

My CPU, System Memory and Video Memory all seem like they are not being used adequately to ensure a higher frame rate. Nothing seems to be maxing out and yet the game is playing at fps levels that at first make me a little sick, but I can sort of get used to it if I am feeling the need to drive around like a madman in a city without having to actually burn gasoline or put anyone in danger. lol It's like overcoming sea sickness.

So someone tell me what I can do to fix this. And not just say that it's a bad port. Even if it is. Because I have seen many, much worse ports. And the solution to this seems in reach. So close.

I'm even thinking about patitioning the hard drive to install XP. Since some games will not run as well on 7 anyway. But I hoped it might be able to run better on 7.

I have EfLC on steam and GTA IV DVD from store.. around here somewhere. But I don't think steam is the problem on this one. Tell me if I'm wrong. How can I get my video card and cpu working at higher percents?

My old hardware was:

Windows XP Professional

Service Pack 3

Intel Xeon @ 2.8GHz 2,79 GHz

NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT

2gb of RAM

Edited by Celidor

You're using the latest EFLC patches, right? So far the only other thing that I'm thinking about when running the game would be the resolution. I tried testing it on an Acer notebook with an i3 and I'm getting good framerates at lower display modes. Turning off non-essential services (e.g. Aero or any other resident process) on your PC may also help.

You're using the latest EFLC patches, right? So far the only other thing that I'm thinking about when running the game would be the resolution. I tried testing it on an Acer notebook with an i3 and I'm getting good framerates at lower display modes. Turning off non-essential services (e.g. Aero or any other resident process) on your PC may also help.

I have the steam version so I am pretty sure it patches automatically.