Updating a Blu-Ray player?

The Bossman

OK, so I need help updating my Blu-Ray disc player. Generally most films work fine with it, but when I tried to play one of the Toy Story Blu-Rays recently, it wouldn’t load which baffled me. Every other Blu-Ray works fine on it and it’s not the discs either because they’re fine on my PS3, no marks or scratches or anything on them. What’s the best way to update a Blu-Ray player then, if you haven’t done it before? I heard connecting it to your PC via USB could easily work, but haven’t tried that yet. I did try using a memory stick in the USB to try and update, but it never downloaded or opened the update, although it did detect it. If you do connect it via USB, will it show up as an external device on your PC, making it relatively easy to cut and paste the update data on there, or will it be complicated? Any general advice for updating it is definitely what I need.

You can go to this website and select your manufacturer from the list there.

Things You'll Need:

Blank CD/DVD or USB flash drive

Then, if you are using a CD/DVD -

1.) Open up a web browser and go to Samsung's support page (see Resources). Enter the model number of your player or select your model from the drop-down menu and click "Search."

2.) Select the correct firmware update for your model of Blu-ray player. Download it and save it to your desktop.

3.) Unzip the file using Winzip or Winrar and extract the .iso file to your desktop.

4.) Insert a blank CD into your computer. Right-click on the extracted .iso file and select the "Burn using..." option.

5.) Remove the CD from your computer and place it in the Blu-ray player. Follow the onscreen instructions to finish the process.

If you use a USB flash drive -

1.) Plug a USB flash drive into your PC. Take note of the drive letter assigned to your USB drive; for example, removable disk (F:).

2.) Open up a web browser and go to Samsung's support page (see Resources). Enter the model number of your player or select your model from the drop-down menu and click "Search."

3.) Select and download the firmware update for USB to your desktop.

4.) Unzip the file using Winzip or Winrar and extract the files to your USB flash drive. In your system tray, right-click on "Safely remove hardware" to remove the flash drive.

5.) Remove the USB drive from your PC and insert it into the USB port on the back of your Blu-ray player. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope that helps. :)

I did it yesterday after a lot of faffing around. Had to unplug it and plug it in in my room, HDMI cable in the TV, and ethernet cable through the back of the player. When I went online it detected a new update and I simply downloaded it, fairly easy but annoying.