USB Splicing

Spaz The Great

i think you need to make the short story a little longer :P

so your GPS charges by miniUSB and the plug broke or somethin? You can get a USB cigarette lighter adaptory thing, then plug in any USB cable (for iPod or GPS or PSP or w/ever).

are you asking whether you could like solder on a USB miniB data cable to that car charger...i guess so. its out of my level though but i can't see why it wouldnt work.

Are you trying to solder a replacement USB end on your existing charger? Or are you trying to make a completely new cable with a random car charger at one end, and a mini USB at the other?

I understand USBs to be all standard cabling and pinouts, including the colours, so the first one would be easy as any other cable splicing. This should help.

The second option would be tricky, as I'm not sure whether the car charger end would have a transformer or any other manipuation to make it compatible with the standard USB format. The above link gives you the voltage you need, so you could test that on your car charger end before you hotwire it.

Are you trying to solder a replacement USB end on your existing charger? Or are you trying to make a completely new cable with a random car charger at one end, and a mini USB at the other?

I understand USBs to be all standard cabling and pinouts, including the colours, so the first one would be easy as any other cable splicing. This should help.

The second option would be tricky, as I'm not sure whether the car charger end would have a transformer or any other manipuation to make it compatible with the standard USB format. The above link gives you the voltage you need, so you could test that on your car charger end before you hotwire it.

I always assumed from deciding to post this that you would be the one to respond with the knowledge. Thanks, I didn't know they sold replacement ends.