GTAIV becomes UK's fastest selling game ever

Chris

ELSPA sent out a press release today with some amazing statistics on how Grand Theft Auto IV sold in the UK on day 1. The previous day 1 record was held by GTA San Andreas, which back in 2004 saw a total of 501,000 copies sold. GTA IV has "comfortably eclipsed" that record, selling a total of 609,000 units (combined PS3 and Xbox 360 totals) in it's first 24 hours.

Of these 609,000 units, 335,000 were the Xbox 360 version of the game - beating out the previous record holder Halo 3, which had managed 266,000 on it's release day. Similarly, the game set a new record on PS3 with the game selling 274,000 units, easily beating out the previous record holder Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, which managed just 80,000 sales. The figures show that the Xbox 360 version is slightly more popular at the moment with 56% of the share, while the PS3 version therefore has 44%.

ELSPA managing director, Mike Rawlinson, commented "The scale of GTA's day one sales are phenomenal and reflect a vibrant market which continues to grow".

Statistics for the United States and other territories should be available soon, where we expect the game to have sold equally as well.

Source: ELSPA (via GamesPress.com)

to be honest it doesn't look that shocking because i kinda expected this. not many game developer brave enough to spend 100 mil for 1 game. GTA IV is the real breakthrough for next-gen gaming. kinda makes me wonder, how magnificient is GTA V(in PS4 i assume) if GTA IV is already like this???

that's still a long way to go though, i probably got tired of games when the time comes.

anyway, how much is one copy of GTA IV worth? i wanna count it to see the numbers of their profit.

Edited by ArtSweet