EA Launches Hostile Takeover Bid for T2

Gerard

img-6824-ea-logo-2.jpgEA has made an appeal to Take Two's shareholders, offering them $26 per share to force the merger through without the consent of the company's board. Previously, Take Two's board repeatedly rejected takeover offers from EA, including one for $26 per share, which totals $2 billion USD, a premium over the current value of $15.83 per share which values the company at roughly $1.2b. The company has to issue a recommendation to its shareholders within ten working days. EA's CEO John Riccitiello encourages Shareholders to take advantage of the offer:

"This is a great opportunity for Take-Two shareholders. We believe Take-Two investors will see our tender offer as the best way to maximize the value of their investment in Take-Two. This tender offer provides a clear process to complete the proposed transaction. For EA shareholders, the combination would add additional intellectual properties to our already strong portfolio and welcome Take-Two's talented creative teams to the great development organization we've built at EA."

Take-Two previously commented that the offer undervalued the company and its assets, and it is obvious that the long-awaited much-hyped launch of GTA IV next month is worth a lot to the company. Take Two also said that other parties had approached it regarding a merger, but that it hadn’t entered into any negotiations with other companies about a deal.

Our members discussed EA's previous offer with a resounding rejection of the takeover. It was felt that if Take Two was merged into EA, the Rockstar Games studios should remain separate (rather than be directly merged into EA) or turn independent. Voice your thoughts in our forums.

They really don't give up, do they? I agree, they are offering a lot of money, but I don't think that Take-Two should go through with this. If they do decide to accept EA's offer, then I think Rockstar Games should stay separate and keep on making GTA games.

Rockstar doesn't own the rights to the Grand Theft Auto series.

Its true that this deal will most likely go through, although I doubt the Houser bros. would let EA change their company/game/series etc. too a degree where it sucked ass, Im sure theyd become independent and make their best efforts to make sure the GTA series stands up to its name, so Im not that worried.

Edited by STL67

Oh yeah. T2 should sell the rights to GTA to Rockstar. I would keep on buying GTA, EA did say they wouldn't change anything in GTA IV, I would rather watch a R* splash when the game starts up rather than an EA one.

Dude,this isnt about just the stupid intro that we all skip anyways ;)

the entire feeling of the GTA games would be RUINED!

From the content to the storylines,everything.They maybe would look nice and graphically advanced,but hell,no GTA fan ever cares much about that.

I personally feel very assured that T2 will NOT agree with the offer,not before GTA IV is released anyways. And After the release,EA said themselves that they wouldnt be interested in T2 anymore.

I think we all know that this would be the death of the GTA series as we now know it if EA has their greedy hands in it. EA's command and conquer approach to acquiring developers and publishers as their history shows, do not do any games justice. As sad as this might seem, I would rather see Microsoft come in and save the day if Take Two were really on the fritz of being acquired. EA, it seems, is turning into an obvious monopoly.

Oh yeah. T2 should sell the rights to GTA to Rockstar. I would keep on buying GTA, EA did say they wouldn't change anything in GTA IV, I would rather watch a R* splash when the game starts up rather than an EA one.

It would be very difficult for EA not to change the way the GTA games are if they don't have the RAGE engine...assuming that Rockstar leaves Take Two prior to the possible take over.

Let's look at EA's history of games... FIFA, Need for Speed, SimCity, Medal of Honor, The Sims, James Bond, Battlefield, Madden NFL, Burnout, Crysis, Army of Two, and that classic.... Theme Hospital

Can you see GTA IV being in that list?

Absolutely not, because they don't have a free roaming title as massive as Grand Theft Auto.

Let's look at EA's history of games... FIFA, Need for Speed, SimCity, Medal of Honor, The Sims, James Bond, Battlefield, Madden NFL, Burnout, Crysis, Army of Two, and that classic.... Theme Hospital

Most of those games are horrible, either will really good graphics and medicore gameplay or nothing at all. EA is a really bad company in how they do business, especially with Madden NFL. They couldn't handle the competition from 2K's better, cheaper football title so they bought all the rights to the NFL teams, now they are the only ones that can make NFL-based games.

Battlefield 2 was good, but fuck EA's greed. Every $20 expansion for The Sims. Every $50 "new game" which is just BF2 with a few new models/maps, etc...etc....

Never happen.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Microsoft just swooped in and bought Rockstar Games or Take-2. :P Or even funnier, they bought EA right after EA bought Take-2. :P

It wouldn't, I'll be pissed off.

i agree I don't want dish out $400 just to play gta... hmmm, anyway EA just needs to stop, their too money happy. Mr. Moore wants to be the new bill gates, maybe thats why he split from MS.

No, never. Army of Two was real fun, but I have a feeling that if EA hadn't acquired the studio, then it would have been much better.