A Few GTA IV Details From OXM

Chris

oxm_74.jpgThe September(?) issue of US Official Xbox Magazine has brought with it a few more details about GTA IV:

• Little Jacob offered weapons including a 9mm pistol, a shotgun, an SMG, and a micro SMG
  • McReary's first name is Francis, and he knows about a felony Niko committed
  • Another vehicle is confirmed as it is noted that Niko stole a black Comet before heading off to the Humboldt River Viewpoint to kill the man who has McReary's memory stick.
  • Before Niko submitted his C.V. to the Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster website, OXM noticed that his C.V. notes that he was on the "Balkan Peace Force" and that he is adept at swimming, shooting and boxing.
  • Karen is the name of the receptionist from Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster, who calls Niko to notify him of his interview. It's not known if she is an important character or not.
  • There are no references to the September 11th terrorist attacks anywhere in the game.
  • Swimming is a confirmed feature

The "Balkan Peace Force" fact is more evidence that Niko is not Russian. There are still some websites saying he is - an Xbox.com editor recently made the mistake of saying Niko is a Russian immigrant. Now if you remember back to the last time OXM had a preview, you might recall the following quote from Dan Houser:

OXM: You've talked about picking culturally different neighbourhoods. Can you reveal any of the gang cultures apart from the Russians?

Dan Houser: I can't reveal gangs too much yet, but one of the things that appealed to us about a) this character (who isn't actually Russian, he's Eastern European, although there will be plenty of Russian gangsters in there) and b ) the story and the world [...]

Thanks to jester210 for the scans.

@Chris: You forgot about the CALENDAR and others ...

Like your real cellphone, your in-game handset has an address book, an organizer a calendar, and a camera--"and it's also how you'll access multiplayer within the game
Edited by Gycu Brun

I think its very safe to say that Niko is a Serbian immigrant. Serbia is an "Eastern European" country, "ic" is a very common way to end Serbian last names, (sounds like "eech" when pronounced), and I believe "Balkan" is the region near the country's of Serbia and Macedonia, I'm quite positive that Niko isn't Macedonia since Macedonian last names often end with "ski". So yeah, I think hes from Serbia. :)

From the outset I have always been keen to say that Niko is Serbian - of course there's no proof so I could still be wrong, but never mind that.

Of the countries that make up the Balkans, only Serbia and Croatia tend to have surnames ending in 'ic'. Croatia isn't a country you typically associate with this sort of stuff, so yeah, I say Serbia too.

@Gycu: We already knew that? Did we not? Sure I mentioned it in a previous post..

Well, since there are no references to September 11, I'd guess that means the towers are still standing. Anybody thinking any missions will occur there?

No they won't. It's set in 2007. How would they still be standing? And I highly doubt any missions will occur there.

oxm_74.jpgThe September(?) issue of US Official Xbox Magazine has brought with it a few more details about GTA IV:
  • Little Jacob offered weapons including a 9mm pistol, a shotgun, an SMG, and a micro SMG
  • McReary's first name is Francis, and he knows about a felony Niko committed
  • Another vehicle is confirmed as it is noted that Niko stole a black Comet before heading off to the Humboldt River Viewpoint to kill the man who has McReary's memory stick.
  • Before Niko submitted his C.V. to the Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster website, OXM noticed that his C.V. notes that he was on the "Balkan Peace Force" and that he is adept at swimming, shooting and boxing.
  • Karen is the name of the receptionist from Goldberg, Ligner & Shyster, who calls Niko to notify him of his interview. It's not known if she is an important character or not.
  • There are no references to the September 11th terrorist attacks anywhere in the game.
  • Swimming is a confirmed feature

The "Balkan Peace Force" fact is more evidence that Niko is not Russian. There are still some websites saying he is - an Xbox.com editor recently made the mistake of saying Niko is a Russian immigrant. Now if you remember back to the last time OXM had a preview, you might recall the following quote from Dan Houser:

OXM: You've talked about picking culturally different neighbourhoods. Can you reveal any of the gang cultures apart from the Russians?

Dan Houser: I can't reveal gangs too much yet, but one of the things that appealed to us about a) this character (who isn't actually Russian, he's Eastern European, although there will be plenty of Russian gangsters in there) and b ) the story and the world [...]

Thanks to jester210 for the scans.

Holy fu**ing sh** lol. I don't know if this is located in humboldt(where I live)but they say Niko headed off of Humboldt river, either way that's sick man :) . Good info though, thanks Chris.

• 3 months later...
Hey Guys!

I Was Wondering. Are R* Goig to Put Children In The new GTA Because They Dont Have Any In The Other GTA`s.

Does Any One Know Anything About This

Thanks

[[ 10 Dimensions ]]

Wow! You bumped this topic ( last post was 4 months ago :| ) and asqued an offtopic question but w/e

Nope ... R* won't put children in their games, remember the Hot Coffee incident? Killing children and animals is just sick ... I think Dan Houser said they won't put children and fuzzy animals to kill in their games but I'm not sure ...

Hey Guys!

I Was Wondering. Are R* Goig to Put Children In The new GTA Because They Dont Have Any In The Other GTA`s.

Does Any One Know Anything About This

Thanks

[[ 10 Dimensions ]]

Wow! You bumped this topic ( last post was 4 months ago :| ) and asqued an offtopic question but w/e

Nope ... R* won't put children in their games, remember the Hot Coffee incident? Killing children and animals is just sick ... I think Dan Houser said they won't put children and fuzzy animals to kill in their games but I'm not sure ...

Hey Mate!

I Agree Espesically wit the Hot Coffe incident Which you Mentioned. Also I Think That If They Want to make the game realistiv as possible you will have famillies in cars and out and stuff.

Can someone tell me where to post the next post about this topic please

Thanks

[[ 10 Dimensios ]]