Why Rockstar Games should open-source GTA Classic?

Huckleberry Pie

OK, many people were happy when Rockstar Games decided to give away their abandonware GTA games for free, but for most of us, one loose end remains - it's still closed-source! It would have really been better if the guys distributed it under the GNU General Public License (GPL), that is, people are free to download, view, study or otherwise modify its underlying source code, which is something like the recipe behind the program. Mobile game developers would benefit from this action, for one thing; a Symbian/mobile Java port of Grand Theft Auto can be really nice. Linux, and ReactOS, an open-source Windows NT clone, is enjoying nice reception because of the programs' open-source nature, and Take Two/Rockstar would also benefit from it, like boosted game sales, whether GTA, or their other games...

There was any online vote for it awhile back, about a year ago now I think. Sadly it went nowhere. Although lots of people did say yes, nobody said no, Rockstar never took it anywhere.

Hmm, too bad, I guess Rockstar hasn't realized the perks of open-source software before; if I give the developers a copy of a Linux distribution, and let them mess with the source code, would they be happy?