What does your PC have?

Samiam2

What the fuck do you do to get that happen?

My 5 year old XP installation works fine. Well.. sort of. Just 1 little thing. But that only happens at start up. After that no prob.

Oh, and I ordered an X-fi soundcard. XtremeMusic. Don't like the XtremeGamer, simply because it isn't full size. And as we all know, bigger is better :P

Also bought Crysis yesterday. Runs like a breeze. Gorgeous game.

Windows is the same price as a PS3 game and it's even cheaper in the US. Expensive is the last thing Windows is.

Edit: OEM of course. You'd have to be crazy to ever buy the retail version. 550 EUR (855 USD) for ultimate...

Got my legal copy of Home Premium for just 85 EUR and I'm very happy with it. Wouldn't go back to XP

I'll be trying out Ubuntu soon, just for the sake of knowing what it actually is (Wine support?)

• 2 weeks later...

Lol accidentally made a new topic, but here are my specs:

Processor: Intel 2.33 GHz Dual Core

Motherboard: MSI with NVIDIA Chipset and 5.1 onboard sound

Memory: 2BG (I skimmed through the first page, and it looks like no one has more than a gig of memory)

Graphics: NVIDIA 8600 GT with 256 MB memory

Hard drive: 250GB Segate SATA

Well, i think that's it.

Memory: 2BG (I skimmed through the first page, and it looks like no one has more than a gig of memory)

Uhm.. 4 gig here.. I think you need at least 3 GB if you want Vista running games smoothly. Mem running at 1066 MHz, not OC'ed(DDR2). CPU at 3,6 GHz (Wolfdale).

You might want to OC yours a bit. Do you have a Conroe or what? Conroes and Wolfdales OC great, so if you have it, try it out.

Uhm.. 4 gig here.. I think you need at least 3 GB if you want Vista running games smoothly. Mem running at 1066 MHz, not OC'ed(DDR2). CPU at 3,6 GHz (Wolfdale).

You might want to OC yours a bit. Do you have a Conroe or what? Conroes and Wolfdales OC great, so if you have it, try it out.

I don't have vista. You want me to overclock my processor or my memory? I'm a little confused :blink: about the whole overclocking process, particularly with the CPU. I have a boring old Dual Core processor. When you go to the BIOS, and it gives you a selection of 4 clock speeds, does choosing a higher clock speed mean over clocking? My fans are all ready pretty loud, so I don't think it would matter much if I pushed my CPU to 2.6 GHz.

Might want to check your core temp and stuff first. I should really OC my system, i'm running a HUGE case, plenty of airflow and room, just need a nice CPU cooler first.

2.8 AMDX2 processor

2gb RAM (corsair XMS2)

NForce 500 Sli mobo

250Gb HDD

GeForce 9600GT

Corsair 750W PSU

Antec P180 case (black edit.)

7.1 SS

*needs new monitor*

Might want to check your core temp and stuff first. I should really OC my system, i'm running a HUGE case, plenty of airflow and room, just need a nice CPU cooler first.

2.8 AMDX2 processor

2gb RAM (corsair XMS2)

NForce 500 Sli mobo

250Gb HDD

GeForce 9600GT

Corsair 750W PSU

Antec P180 case (black edit.)

7.1 SS

*needs new monitor*

My CPU temperature is running at about 33 degrees celcius, I think that's a pretty good temperature for it. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to increase the clock speed now.

33? I doubt it dude. As you're probably using Intel's stock cooler, that shouldn't be the actual temp.

Use realtemp and stress your CPU for 10 minutes with Orthos. Check temp while Orthos is running.

I've got a ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 and that's the best air cooler on the market. Better than many watercooling solutions and I'm at 39 with a wolfdale and stock voltage. Undervolted it now actually, so then it's about 36 stressed. 26 at idle (my room is 24 C thanks to the damn hot graphic card...)

Clockspeeds can be changed in the BIOS if your mobo supports it. You'll have to be a bit more specific about what mobo you have for me to give any advice.

Edit: BTW, I'll get a picture of my case tomorrow. Personally I don't think it's that big, but my friends and parents think different... I actually never really liked the looks of this case in pictures (bought it because it's exellent for overclocking), but in real life it actually does look pretty awesome IMO. Just.... not in pictures.

33? I doubt it dude. As you're probably using Intel's stock cooler, that shouldn't be the actual temp.

Use realtemp and stress your CPU for 10 minutes with Orthos. Check temp while Orthos is running.

I've got a ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 and that's the best air cooler on the market. Better than many watercooling solutions and I'm at 39 with a wolfdale and stock voltage. Undervolted it now actually, so then it's about 36 stressed. 26 at idle (my room is 24 C thanks to the damn hot graphic card...)

Clockspeeds can be changed in the BIOS if your mobo supports it. You'll have to be a bit more specific about what mobo you have for me to give any advice.

Edit: BTW, I'll get a picture of my case tomorrow. Personally I don't think it's that big, but my friends and parents think different... I actually never really liked the looks of this case in pictures (bought it because it's exellent for overclocking), but in real life it actually does look pretty awesome IMO. Just.... not in pictures.

Idling, my CPU ran at an average of 30 degrees centigrade, with the Min. temp 29 degrees and the max at 42 degrees. Running ORTHOS on Small FFTs - CPU stress, my CPU temp jumped up to 50 C, then gradually climbed up to about 58 degrees for 3 minutes of running ORTHOS. So stressing my CPU apparently makes the temperatures jump :) I'm gonna install this fan controller (from MSI, my motherboard mfg.) and see if it will keep the CPU cooler.

EDIT: Srry, didn't realize you said 10 minutes. I'll install the program then retest.

Edited by The Gaming Person 1994

I wouldn't start OC'ing if it's reaching 58 at stock. I've never come above the 50, and that's with my CPU running at 3,8 GHz.

You're using Intel's stock cooler, right? You might want to replace that if you want to start overclocking. Artic Cooling has some good coolers for very prices, I'd check that out if I was you.

I wouldn't start OC'ing if it's reaching 58 at stock. I've never come above the 50, and that's with my CPU running at 3,8 GHz.

You're using Intel's stock cooler, right? You might want to replace that if you want to start overclocking. Artic Cooling has some good coolers for very prices, I'd check that out if I was you.

Lol I asked MSI support and they said my exact model motherboard locks overclocking. Shoot. I was thinking on getting a graphics cooler though, even though can't/don't want to over clock it, it's pretty loud and runs at 46 degrees idling. Is it worth the trouble getting a new fan for my GFX card?

Model?

Get Rivatuner. Try adjusting fanspeed. Stock fan speed of mine gets my card to idle at 60. Upping the fan speed slightly will get it down to 48.

8800 GT from XFX is very loud, but it keeps the card cool. Anyway, 46 isn't bad. You'll want to keep it under the 80 on load though for most chips. Use Rivatuner's Hardware monitor to view the GPU temp over a longer period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061

System Model: ES079AA-ABU SR1819UK GB620

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Sempron Processor 3000+

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3450

HDD: Maxtor STM3160215A 160GB

Memory: 1534MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

• 4 weeks later...