Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

I'm gonna need to upgrade the Video Card that's for sure. How much does it cost to Upgrade?

I currently have this:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB

Also should I keep my Processor?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz

Is that fine?

I'll be upgrading my Ram to 4GB soon. I currently have 2GB.

Edited by Charger

Crysis supports DX10 doesn't require it.

About Vista, yes it will be shit if you have less than 2GB of RAM. That or more and it's amazing. End of story.

my friend runs Vista on 512 RAM, does brilliant

Are you sure you're not talking about Home Basic? I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if I saw a PC running Vista Home Premium/Business/Ultimate etc. with only 512MB RAM.

I'm gonna need to upgrade the Video Card that's for sure. How much does it cost to Upgrade?

I currently have this:

Is that fine?

You'll definitely need to upgrade your video card, I think you could run SA at high/very high with AA at 1 smoothly on that. Won't be much for IV though. Also, if you're getting 4GB RAM, it would be good to get a 64-bit OS. And a 64-bit CPU. You might wanna upgrade your CPU, not important.

I currently have this:

Is that fine?

yeah unless u get 64bit vista or xp pro x64 , you will only be able to use 3.25gb

i am sure of it, my PC runs Assassins Creed at high setting (DX9) and it runs really good

PC :

Intel Core2Duo E4600 2.4Ghz 64Bit (if 64Bit matters..)

Nvidia 8800GTS

2GB DDR2 Memory (upgrading to 8GB DDR3 soon)

oh yeah, about the vista thing, are you sure IV will come to DX10? i dont think so much..

Edited by PlayerX

You really wouldn't see the difference between 4GB and 8GB if you upgraded. 8GB is for people who have more money than sense. It would be crazy to get anything more than 4G (well, 4g is kinda crazy) but trust me, you don't need it. You could save that money to buy an SLI/Crossfire mobo and run dual GFX cards on it. IV won't require DX10, it will probably just support it, like Crysis.

i dont need Dual GFX on my PC.. might be saving money for a new motherboard since my intel motherboard sucks.. at least i had a PCIe on it so i could install my GPU on it..

btw, you think my PC will be able to run IV? (on good setting)

Edited by PlayerX

i run assassins creed on highest setting and a resulotion of 1024x768 at 75 Hz.. upgrading to 4GB DDR3 is quite well.. and i dont think i should upgrade for vista with my current PC (unless getting a new processor also, or overclocking it by buying a new motherboard.)

oh, and do you think IV will have better graphics? at the pool (not the ones you jump into it and its full of water!) i saw that they prefer something else.. still better replay will be good. since we wont have to buy software such as Fraps, GameCam etc..

So anything socket Am2 will fit into my processor slot?

Sorry to repeatedly post, I'm pretty much a nub in hardware.

EDIT: I'm also looking for GTA4 to run well, it doesn't have to be maxed out, but I'd like it to run well with few FPS problems.

EDIT2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103211

?

Ya better start saving cash now! ;)

You cant compare Crysis to everything, it requires vista, and if you ask me, vista was a big flop. I don't even capitalize it when I type it anymore.

1- Llama is right. It just gives you better graphics (DX10 mode) under Vista.

2- Chris82's point

3- I'm quite sure you haven't even used Vista. I have bought it. Yes, I didn't just get it, I bought it. And I wouldn't go back to XP, ever. The overall experience is better and I find it a very pleasant OS to use. Try it yourself, one day.

Somehow it's 'cool' to hate Vista.. bunch of stereotypes.

Crysis supports DX10 doesn't require it.

About Vista, yes it will be shit if you have less than 2GB of RAM. That or more and it's amazing. End of story.

Stereotypes? I'm tired of throwing out my argument against Vista, but I HAVE used it, multiple times. Confusing to use((especially after using Windows for years)), annoying in just about every aspect, and slow as hell. My mom's PC has it. It came with 512mb of RAM((WTF????))... We upgraded it half a gig of RAM at a time until 2 GBs..... No difference noted at all.....

I'd love to upgrade my PC, but I can't afford it right now. As such, I probably won't be able to afford GTA IV, either....

I currently have this:

Is that fine?

yeah unless u get 64bit vista or xp pro x64 , you will only be able to use 3.25gb

And to have 64Bit I have to pay right? On my Hp Manual, it says the maximum ram is 4GB.

Btw whats the difference between 64bit and 32bit?

Hey guys, so should I order the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (this thingie-majig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103211 ) or not? I've only got til the 31st before newegg stops selling it.

All you tech dudes, answer me a couple questions, eh?

1. Will this thing fit into my motherboard (Refer to these, I think they'll tell you judging by my current one: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/B...ono666/CPUZ.jpg , http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/B...t=processor.png )

2. Will I see any better performance in games such as: COD4, TF2, and Half Life 2 (and the episodes) (Also: not planning on getting uber results, hopefully those will come with a new GPU!)

Now! Important: My front side bus kinda standard and is an AMD Hammer, with a "real clock" of 200 MHz, and an "effective clock" of 200MHz, and a "Hyper Transport Clock" of 1000 MHz. I know this will effect the speed of my processor, but by much?

I am going to get a CPU before a GPU, because if I get a new GPU I'll have to get a new PSU aswell, that'll be around 250 bucks together, so I'm in the market for a CPU that is not mega expensive and doesn't suck big horse dongs.

Thanks!

Edited by Shortbus

Hey guys, so should I order the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (this thingie-majig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103211 ) or not? I've only got til the 31st before newegg stops selling it.

All you tech dudes, answer me a couple questions, eh?

1. Will this thing fit into my motherboard (Refer to these, I think they'll tell you judging by my current one: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/B...ono666/CPUZ.jpg , http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/B...t=processor.png )

2. Will I see any better performance in games such as: COD4, TF2, and Half Life 2 (and the episodes) (Also: not planning on getting uber results, hopefully those will come with a new GPU!)

Now! Important: My front side bus kinda standard and is an AMD Hammer, with a "real clock" of 200 MHz, and an "effective clock" of 200MHz, and a "Hyper Transport Clock" of 1000 MHz. I know this will effect the speed of my processor, but by much?

I am going to get a CPU before a GPU, because if I get a new GPU I'll have to get a new PSU aswell, that'll be around 250 bucks together, so I'm in the market for a CPU that is not mega expensive and doesn't suck big horse dongs.

Thanks!

Newegg will not stop selling it on the 31st, the combo deal currently active simply ends at that time. The combo deal is you buy the processor and if you buy whatever hard drive they want you to buy with it, you will pay less than if you had bought the CPU and hard drive separately.

Yes you will see better performance in Source-based games, especially when Valve enables dual-core support. Currently, TF2 and all other "Orange Box" Source engine version games can utilize dual-core processors fully, increasing FPS massively, but it is known to crash the game under certain circumstances and therefore Valve has it disabled by default, regardless of how many cores your processor has.

COD4 is more GPU-based but you should see gains nonetheless.

According to that information, the CPU will work fine, just make sure you have thermal compound (Arctic Silver recommended) and a compatible heatsinkfan. If it doesn't fit, send it back. Read up on installing before you do it so you don't accidentally mess it up the first time.

And your FSB is simply how fast your mobo transfers information, this is multiplied by your CPU speed multiplier to achieve your CPU speed and is a standard feature, sometimes the number changes if you overclock/change components.

A 7500LE isn't exactly what you would call a good card for these days, but yeah, you could probably run it on medium at least. You've got a good processor but I think it's bottlenecked by that GFX card. It doesn't have a lot of VRAM as well so that's bad. Is that a desktop or laptop you're using? Laptops are NOT good for gaming, unless you buy a game controller or keyboard and mouse for it and have decent enough specs.

Edited by GTA Don

On newegg it says it comes with a heatsink and fan, is that not enough to keep the device cool? I found some artic stuff on newegg for 11 bucks (plus 3 day shipping) so I spose I'll get that aswell if it is needed.

Thanks Chris, you've been very helpful with this crap.

I know the 5000+ does come with a fan, it will be fine, I've never had problems, but you really should get something that cools more effectively.

If you end up NOT buying a separate CPU fan, note on the model of HSF that comes with the CPU, the thermal grease is already applied to the HSF, so o messy sachets / spillages, etc.