GTA 2 in 3D mode?

Kray Z

Deary me this seems to have caused some controversy. Just cos I wanna join in, here's my thoughts on the matter.

The world of GTA2 is three dimensional.

In a game, 3 dimensions mean that there is a model, that can be moved and the 'camera' can move around it to get different views.

In a game, 2 dimensions mean that they have to manually redraw the object to get different viewpoints.

For example, this drawing of a dog by someone you may have heard of: Adolf Hitler.

dog3.jpg

If the artist wanted to make the dog look the other way, or see the back of the dog, he'd have to draw it again. Yes he could use the original image for reference, or trace some of it, but he would have to draw it again. He can't just look at it from a different angle.

This makes the dog 2 dimensional.

Now take this rather fetching statue of Josef Stalin:

I021_StalinStatueRussia.jpg

If that brush dude wanted to have a look at the back of Stalin's head, he only has to move himself round the other side and he can see it. This is because this is a three-dimensional model rather than a two-dimensional image.

If you take a look at this screenshot of GTA2:

gta2.jpg

You can see that your perspective view of the buildings changes when you go round the side of them. This is because the buildings are three-dimensional models, like the statue. Your view of the cars do not change, they are static non-moving images, like the drawing.

GTA2 = 3D game with 2D camera movement

It's kinda halfway between 3D and 2D, but it DOES use models rather than just images moving around on top of each other (like pacman, for example).

Anyone played Duke Nukem 3D? The enviroment was 3D, but the enemies were 2D sprites. Say an enemy was in the middle of a room. You would walk around the room looking at the enemy and he would always be 2D facing you, never see him on his side and back.

Oh, and the guy that posted the GTA2 pic in 3D, notice no cars or peds in that pic? Because they are 2D sprites. The enviroment is 3D, as if you move around the buildings and you can see the side, but you can never see the side of pds or vehicles

Edited by tommy vercetti guy

Anyone played Duke Nukem 3D? The enviroment was 3D, but the enemies were 2D sprites. Say an enemy was in the middle of a room. You would walk around the room looking at the enemy and he would always be 2D facing you, never see him on his side and back.

Lol :D . I remember Duke Nukem 3D. I've played it like 10 years ago...

In a way, but a game can NEVER be 3D because it is not an actual object, and is just an image on a TV screen. For example, an apple sitting infront of me is 3D, i can clearly see that, but on a TV screen, there is no stopping it that it could be just 2D. Does this mean that ALL GTA games are in 2D? Am I right, or am I wrong? If I am wrong, then tell me to shut up!

In a way, but a game can NEVER be 3D because it is not an actual object, and is just an image on a TV screen. For example, an apple sitting infront of me is 3D, i can clearly see that, but on a TV screen, there is no stopping it that it could be just 2D. Does this mean that ALL GTA games are in 2D? Am I right, or am I wrong? If I am wrong, then tell me to shut up!

In that case, I'll tell you to shut up. Have you've ever seen those 3D glasses? You can watch movies with them (if they're made in that technique), aswell as you can play games. I have two of these at home, for a computer. If I configure the graphics card's drivers, I can play ANY game with those glasses on, and the whole enviroment becomes 3D.

Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it's not there. Since those objects were made in 3D, all I have to do is put those glasses on and it will become real 3D.

They are three dimensional, but they are shown 2-dimensionally. For example a photo of that apple in front of you would be 2D, but the apple would still have been 3D. It's the same with the game - the models are 3D, but we can only see them in 2D because of the screen.

However, you could have two cameras on the same model, showing two different sides of it. That proves its actually 3D and not just an animated image.