Dubstep

Mpilk901

• 5 months later...

Whats the difference between DnB and Dub?

you say dub but i assume you mean dubstep? dub is actually a genre that grew out of reggae by taking out the vocals and adding effects, a lot of the commercial dubstep of today really doesn't have much dub influence, it takes most of it's influence from jump up drum & bass but still keeping the rhythm that came with the original dubstep around 10 years ago...

this is a good example of where dubstep comes from, apart from the snare is on the 2nd and 4th beat, and in dubstep it's meant to be on the 3rd beat:

this is jump up drum & bass:

as you can tell, it's a lot faster, 170 bpm probably, dubstep is usually at 140 bpm (bpm = beats per minute) and it's in half time so most dubstep would actually appear to be around 70 bpm

this is what most people percieve to be dubstep, although there aren't really any dub influences, still a dutty tune though:

i've been talking about jump up drum & bass, but this is actual drum & bass, which doesn't share as many similarities with dubstep as jump up does:

Edited by stickyicky

What exactly defines dubstep((I know I know, play the videos))? I love me some electronic music, most of it, in fact.

As opposed to 'UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE' it's more like 'WAHWAHHWAHWHAHWAH' haha. I don't really like dubstep too much myself but it's gotten extremely popular in North America lately. I don't mind it at parties I guess and there are a couple of songs that I'll listen to occasionally.

Hope you guys have seen this one:

My friend showed me this guy's videos a couple days ago, you should check his channel out. Some of them are pretty entertaining. He basically takes videos, matches 'em up with dubstep songs and edits the videos accordingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnoAfhNfM3o

Oh yeah a friend of mine made this song, refers to it as 'chillstep'. For an amateur I thought that it was pretty good.

Edited by Artur

Am I the only one who can't stand it? In my opinion (don't go raging at me all you dubstep people) it sounds like total shit and requires little talent to make compared to real artists or bands that actually sing (not the auto-tune artists). But hey, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Dmac
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who can't stand it? In my opinion (don't go raging at me all you dubstep people) it sounds like total shit and requires little talent to make compared to real artists or bands that actually sing (not the auto-tune artists). But hey, that's just my opinion.

Music isn't about how much talent is required to produce or write it. It's about how it makes you feel when you listen to it. It's about whether it makes you want to get up and scream, or jump on the dance floor. It's about movement, energy, and life.

Some of my own dubstep..

http://soundcloud.co.../mash-up-da-dub

Bring the bass up. Way up. I can hardly hear it.

Oh and thanks for FINALLY defining dubstep for me guys..... However, I had already figured it out. For the record, NERDSTEP for the win......

I don't know.. I don't really like dubstep. I don't 'hate' it or something. I can bare listening to it, but more in the way that I'm able to listen to a dishwasher as opposed to hearing a vacuumcleaner. To me it's usually just a frequency with a high amplitude. I can't see much more in it then that. There are a few exeptions though. Some that are quite nice. But in general I don't really think anything at all about dubstep and I can't understand why everybody suddenly does like it.

It could have been worse though, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

My two latest tracks, the first one is like, an alternate version to In Your Eyes by Brookes Brothers, I just started off with the same sample as they used and tried creating something different. You don't even want to know what the second is.

http://soundcloud.co...johnny-osbourne

http://soundcloud.co...rrade/goodnight

Edited by stickyicky

• 2 months later...