Help with GTA III on PC.

fatalgamer

Chris82 is more the nuts & bolts guy on computers, but start w/ getting the newest set of drivers from Compaq. If you did get a virus, you might have a corrupted driver for the CD/DVD. Hopefully, you got the operating system disc when you got your computer. If you can, consider upgrading to XP Pro & download Service Pack 2 from MS website. They seem to have the bugs worked out & you get Windows Defender & Malicious software removal tool. Also look for AVG (Grisoft, free), or if you can afford, buy a good antivirus package. Some of the other guys can point you in the right direction.

You should be able to go to their website, find your model & download an EXE file for it. Put it on the desktop, open it & the rest will happen on it's own.

I noticed there was no video card listed, Can yours be upgraded? GTA3 & VC should play on your machine, but SA needs a semi-decent video card.

Edited by Urbanoutlaw

Chris82 is more the nuts & bolts guy on computers, but start w/ getting the newest set of drivers from Compaq. If you did get a virus, you might have a corrupted driver for the CD/DVD. Hopefully, you got the operating system disc when you got your computer. If you can, consider upgrading to XP Pro & download Service Pack 2 from MS website. They seem to have the bugs worked out & you get Windows Defender & Malicious software removal tool. Also look for AVG (Grisoft, free), or if you can afford, buy a good antivirus package. Some of the other guys can point you in the right direction.

You should be able to go to their website, find your model & download an EXE file for it. Put it on the desktop, open it & the rest will happen on it's own.

I noticed there was no video card listed, Can yours be upgraded? GTA3 & VC should play on your machine, but SA needs a semi-decent video card.

I dunno how to check and see if I have a video card or not. Is there a way?

You said you got it last year, so warranty should not be an issue.

Click the START button on your desktop & look for the option RUN. Select that & type in DXDIAG. This brings up the

Direct X diagnostic tool. In a few seconds, the Diagnostic tool comes up, Select the DISPLAY tab. This will tell you what

video is installed in your machine. Once you look at this, close the tool (leave the settings alone).

Good Luck. B)

PS I still think sharks could be in GTA4! :P

Have to wait for one of the ATI guys to check in, I've got N-vidia, but your video ram should have no problem including SA.

Start w/ trying to update the drivers. If no luck, see if you can get someone to look at the DVD drive.

Worst case, they are a simple install & prices aren't that bad. Just avoid the salesman who sold it to you in the first place.

Gotta run, later.

Radeon XPress 200? Not a bad Video Card, it's a mediocre card, but with 128.0 MB, you can run GTA San Andreas on Medium with about 40 FPS dude. No need to worry.

I have a Radeon 9600 256.0MB but it's a AGP 8X, the only thing that's holding it back (since my motherboard is an AGP only compatible), if your X200 is a PCI (or even better PCI-Express) 16x, you REALLY don't need to worry much.

But, 9600 is equal to X1050, which is slightly above yours, the X200.

I do have a second drive. It is D drive.

I reads:

Used Space: 5.05 GB

Free Space: 1.44 GB

Capacity: 6.49 GB

Does'nt sound like a whole lot to me.

Oh, and I cleaned out my tower. For the most part I did'nt see anything eccept a CRAP LOAD OF FREAKIN DUST!!!! I used a vaccume to get rid of all of the dust! :D I guess if there was some pieces of disc plasitc it would be in the disc drive itself. I don't really wanna open that though. I fear I won't be able to put it back together.

Probably safest that way unless you have a spare DVD drive.

I should have been more specific about the second drive, meant a second hard drive.

Without actually seeing it, I'm thinking your DVD drive is damaged.

If you can open the case & clean it, you should be able to replace the DVD. New ones come w/ instructions & a disc (most)

& are "Plug & Play", Windows XP should have drivers to get it working & the manufacturer should have newest available on

their site.

All you need is a reasonably clean place to work & a Phillips screwdriver.

• 3 weeks later...

I have come to a conclusion. My DVD-ROM Drive is broken.:( Anyways I tried to fire up a WoW trial disc. By the way I would rather get kicked in the nuts than play that game, I hate WoW. Anyways it would not work. This game does'nt take a whole lot of power to run it. So this is what has brought me to this conclusion. I would like to replace the drive but, I don't know what to get, where to get it, and how to install it. So could someone here help me out? Or i could just ask for a new PC for Christmas.:D

Edited by fatalgamer

okay let me try and help. to check the spec, click on the start menu. then look for my computer, right above control panel. once you click on my comp, look for the text that says veiw system info on the left side of the menu in system tasks. then bingo

We've already established that buddy.

Anyways. I downloaded the Max Payne demo from the Rockstar Games website. Don't worry it's legal. I installed it and it play rather well. It did slow down a bit sometimes, but not that badly. Also the load times seemed a bit lengthy sometimes. There was one problem though, it slowed my computer and it's ability to connect to the Internet alot. Anyways, if my PC is able to run that, it should run GTA games right? Also, since my drive is broken, is there a way that I can put it in download form? Then I would'nt have any problems getting it on the PC. I'm at the point were I think the only thing I can do to get a PC to play games is to get a better one. This one was abought $500-$600. I'm think about getting a Dell for Christmas. A new Dell with Windows Vista should be capable should'nt it?

okay let me try and help. to check the spec, click on the start menu. then look for my computer, right above control panel. once you click on my comp, look for the text that says veiw system info on the left side of the menu in system tasks. then bingo

Anyways. I downloaded the Max Payne demo from the Rockstar Games website. Don't worry it's legal. I installed it and it play rather well. It did slow down a bit sometimes, but not that badly. Also the load times seemed a bit lengthy sometimes. There was one problem though, it slowed my computer and it's ability to connect to the Internet alot. Anyways, if my PC is able to run that, it should run GTA games right? Also, since my drive is broken, is there a way that I can put it in download form? Then I would'nt have any problems getting it on the PC. I'm at the point were I think the only thing I can do to get a PC to play games is to get a better one. This one was abought $500-$600. I'm think about getting a Dell for Christmas. A new Dell with Windows Vista should be capable should'nt it?

I think you could find a way better computer for the price of a Dell, especially if you already have a decent monitor from your current computer. It really depends on what you get, man.

I think you could find a way better computer for the price of a Dell, especially if you already have a decent monitor from your current computer. It really depends on what you get, man.

I know. I just don't wanna fuck up and get the wrong one. Like I said, when I got this ine, the "salesman" said it would play all of the latest games. Yet playing Max Payne Demo, wich is kinda old by now, slowed it down and still had problems with frame rate and long load times. It was only about a 250mb download. Not even the full game, just a demo.