Grand Theft Auto 5?

Dazza

I have found that Mike Torok has registered the Grandtheftauto5.com name...

Domain Name: GRANDTHEFTAUTO5.COM

Registrant [648722]:
	Mike Torok
	622 Broadway
	New York
	NY
	US

Administrative Contact [648722]:
	Mike Torok [email protected]
	622 Broadway
	New York
	NY
	US
	Phone: +1.2123346633

Billing Contact [648722]:
	622 Broadway
	New York
	NY
	US

Technical Contact [648722]:
	622 Broadway
	New York
	NY
	US

Sourse: Link

Nice find (followed me aye :P). I'd say it's an investment to make sure nobody steals it, or they are losing the old format and going for "GTA5, GTA6" rather then "GTA: Something, GTA: Something Else".

Actually scrap that, it was created in 2003 :/.

Record created on: 2003-12-25 14:03:00.0
Database last updated on: 2007-03-15 22:42:42.747
Domain Expires on: 2007-12-25 14:03:00.0

It is useful to buy sites like that, though. You could get offered a lot of money by a big company who wants your site, I think I remember something like this happened a few years ago and one guy got paid about $100,000 for it, something like that.

Why would Rockstar offer Rockstar a lot of money for the GTA domain?

And they did it with GTA IV way back when, also. They are probably just making sure they don't have to pay a lot for these names.

Some suite playing a money game I don't pretend to understand.

As dumb as that sounds, I can see that happening. We just see the work of the programmers & idea people, have no

idea who signs their paychecks.

I'm not going to pretend I understand what you're trying to say. What does anyone's paychecks have to do with the domain?

It is useful to buy sites like that, though. You could get offered a lot of money by a big company who wants your site, I think I remember something like this happened a few years ago and one guy got paid about $100,000 for it, something like that.

And they did it with GTA IV way back when, also. They are probably just making sure they don't have to pay a lot for these names.

Thats true, plus Rockstar don't pay people for the domains if I'm no mistake, they usually sort it out over the phone and send the user a packages with some collectibles. Don't quote me on this though.

Guys this WHOIS is faked (which is actually illegal to do). http://whois.domaintools.com/grandtheftauto5.com

The domain's nameservers are pointing to a web host and the domain itself is with a domain parking company. The registrant has simply changed the contact details to those of Mike Torok, the current R* webmaster. As you can see, the registrar is Moniker.com.

Rockstar always use Register.com for their domains, and their nameservers are always on rockstargames.com or take2games.com, so the fact none of this is evident in the WHOIS, confirms that this is faked data, and R* do NOT own this domain name. Also, they don't own gta5.com either, so it's not even as if they're in the process of transferring it.

Thats true, plus Rockstar don't pay people for the domains if I'm no mistake, they usually sort it out over the phone and send the user a packages with some collectibles. Don't quote me on this though.

No, that only works if the company hasn't trademarked the name/brand or whatever it is. In which case they have no legal way to claim the domain, so they have to resort to offering money as an incentive to give up the domain.

Since R* own the trademarks to Grand Theft Auto in terms of video games, merchandise etc, Rockstar can simply ask you to give up the domain if they want it. If they don't think it's necessary then they wont.

What happened with gtaiv.com was that I wanted this domain a couple of years ago, however the guy was asking $500 for it which at the time I couldn't justify so I just lost interest in it. Earlier this year another GTA webmaster wanted it so he could make a fansite, but emailed R* about it to see if they could acquire it for him as he wanted to create a legitimate site for it (it was currently just parked with some company).

Rockstar then decided that they themselves wanted the domain, and asked him to hand it over. He did obviously as he didn't have any case, as GTAIV is trademarked by R*. The domain now redirects to the official GTA IV website.

I have found some interesting developments on another GTA 5 domain which R* appear to be acquiring. I can't confirm anything just yet though as it may be another fake...

BTW another way you can tell that grandtheftauto5.com is fake is because Mike Torok, afaik, never uses his own name to register a domain, it's always done in Take 2's name.

• 4 months later...
I have found some interesting developments on another GTA 5 domain which R* appear to be acquiring. I can't confirm anything just yet though as it may be another fake...

BTW another way you can tell that grandtheftauto5.com is fake is because Mike Torok, afaik, never uses his own name to register a domain, it's always done in Take 2's name.

Just like to update this and say that this person have indeed used his own name with the company address alongside it as the registrant of Rockstar-related domains. For instance, when GTAIV.com was transfered over from its previous owner to Rockstar, it had his name. Other domains in the past have also had his name.

As for the part where it's not parked on Take-Two's own servers... well Take-Two have had several domains parked on other web servers, which they then later transfer (or not transfer) to the Take-Two servers. So chances are this domain name IS IN FACT owned by Take-Two. They're just trying to hide it from people (like me) who'll find the domain names if they would to add it to their own servers.

I'm pretty sure there are a ton of domain names, such as love-meet.net, that's parked all over the web.

Even though it's just a numeral name (GTA 5), don't make much of it just yet... Take-Two is known to securing A TON of domain names related to their IPs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read abot a stolen domain (http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=445333&sid=3696b7b6097bf4d39396aefa06eeedf1)

THey say not to use free email accounts for sites since if you dont sign in to your eml someone can register for it and then use it to acess the site.

I am hoping for an other San Andreas but I dont think that will happen, I guess typical GTA fans dont like that, but I do. We have been through this...

• 5 weeks later...

R* Use Subdomains. So They Already Own The Domain For GTA 5.

• 3 years later...